Sep 25, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Some studies have unexpected results that change the way people think about a subject. This is not one of them.
Jared Diamond of the Wall Street Journal watched a local broadcast of all 30 teams to track the announcers’ level of bias and concluded that longtime White Sox play-by-play man Hawk Harrelson is indeed the biggest homer around.
“Credit” was given when an announcer used we/us/our as their pronoun of choice or referred to a player as some sort of pet name and according to Diamond “additional penalties were given for things like excessive moping after miscues or unrestrained glee after big moments.”
Harrelson is the king of all those things, so not surprisingly he (and partner Steve Stone) blew away the competition by making what Diamond determined to be 104 “biased statements” during a single game. Next-closest was the Indians’ crew of Matt Underwood and Rick Manning with 23 biased statements.
And of course Harrelson being Harrelson, he was thrilled to find out he lapped the field:
You just made my day. That’s the biggest compliment you could give me, to call me the biggest homer in baseball.
For the full results of Diamond’s study, click here.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games