Sep 26, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Haren’s option is for $15.5 million with a $3.5 million buyout and Santana’s option is for $13 million with a $1 million buyout.
And then, according to Gonzalez, the Angels will “focus their efforts on signing Zack Greinke to a multi-year extension.”
That may be easier said than done, of course, and Gonzalez speculates that Greinke’s price tag will be around $125 million for six years, but the Angels obviously aren’t short on cash and clearing Haren and Santana off the books would certainly leave their rotation wide open for a huge Greinke investment.
Haren has been a front-line starter in the past, but the 32-year-old has struggled through back problems this season while posting a 4.35 ERA. Santana’s overall ERA is 4.93 ERA and the Angels are no doubt getting sick of the 29-year-old’s inconsistency, but he does have a 2.88 ERA and .175 opponents’ batting average in nine starts since August 1.
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 4
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 27
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- The Astros lost in spectacular fashion last night 26
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit