Sep 26, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
For the past two weeks the Astros have been busy interviewing manager candidates and owner Jim Crane told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that the team hopes to make a decision late this week or early next week.
“It will really depend on the selection we make, how quickly we announce that based upon where the teams are and the candidates we’re talking to,” Crane said. “If they’re in the playoffs, we might have to wait until the playoffs are over.”
In other words, if the Astros want to give interim manager Tony DeFrancesco the full-time gig they can announce that any time, but if they want to hire Nationals third base coach Bo Porter they may have to wait awhile. And then there’s Red Sox bench coach Tim Bogar and (barring a big comeback) Rays bench coach Dave Martinez, both of whom figure to be available to start new jobs late next week.
All of which basically means that if the hiring process stretches beyond next week signs would point to Porter as the choice.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)