Sep 26, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
For the past two weeks the Astros have been busy interviewing manager candidates and owner Jim Crane told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that the team hopes to make a decision late this week or early next week.
“It will really depend on the selection we make, how quickly we announce that based upon where the teams are and the candidates we’re talking to,” Crane said. “If they’re in the playoffs, we might have to wait until the playoffs are over.”
In other words, if the Astros want to give interim manager Tony DeFrancesco the full-time gig they can announce that any time, but if they want to hire Nationals third base coach Bo Porter they may have to wait awhile. And then there’s Red Sox bench coach Tim Bogar and (barring a big comeback) Rays bench coach Dave Martinez, both of whom figure to be available to start new jobs late next week.
All of which basically means that if the hiring process stretches beyond next week signs would point to Porter as the choice.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)