Bombs away: Orioles tie franchise record with seven homers in win

Sep 26, 2012, 10:43 PM EDT

Chris Davis Reuters

Chris Davis and rookie Manny Machado went deep twice apiece as the Orioles combined for seven homers Wednesday in beating the Blue Jays 12-2.

Baltimore remained 1 1/2 games back of the Yankees after New York won earlier in the day.

Nate McLouth opened the bottom of the first with a homer tonight, but it was then quiet until the fifth. That frame saw Jim Thome, Machado and Davis all leave the yard, giving the Orioles a 6-2 lead. After that, the team added another two-run homer each inning: Mark Reynolds in the sixth, Davis in the seventh and Machado in the eighth. Of course, they didn’t need a ninth.

It was the third time in Orioles history that the team has hit seven homers. The first was on May 17, 1967 against the Red Sox. Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson and Davey Johnson were among the seven who homered that day. The other time was on Aug. 26, 1985 against the Angels. Eddie Murray hit three homers and drove in nine in that one.

1. missthemexpos - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Well at least the Blue Jay pitchers cut down on their walks this evening, only granting two free passes.

2. makaylasdaddy0906 - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Kinda reminds me of some of the rangers box scores but I’m so glad my O’s are playing strong I am so excited to see them make the playoffs as well as the ravens it’s bout time both the birds are doing there thing

3. lessick - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

The Orioles have cut the season run differential to -1.

4. dondada10 - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I think the Orioles have a chance at being good this year.

5. nbjays - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I guess you could call this a partial payback for September 14, 1987. :-)

• jaysjunkie - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I’ll save readers from a Google search – the Jays hit a still-standing record of 10 homers against the O’s.

Still remember that game…what a surreal night.

• randomdigits - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Without looking it up….18-3.

Listened to that one on the radio.

• nbjays - Sep 27, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I remember that game as well. Ernie Whitt hit 3 of those 10 dingers.

• dirtyharry1971 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Who CARES!!!!??!!! bluegays are TERRIBLE!! You have no hitting, you have no pitching and you have no bullpen, your owner wont open up his wallet, your farm system blows and your coach is lousy. Outside of that you got a chance

• dirtyharry1971 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I dont blame bluegay fans for talking about 1987 as if it were yesterday cause the way things are right now your team is terrible and i see no future with this franchise. So id get used to it and better keep on talking about 1987 cause you will never, ever have anything else to talk about. MLB should just delete this team the sameway they deleted the expos

• rockthered1286 - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Dude… don’t be a d-bag. I’m a hardcore O’s fan. But I never talk trash about another team like that, ESPECIALLY when it’s unwarranted. Do you know why the Jays have been so terrible this year? Injuries. They’ve lost their best bat in the lineup and a plethora of pitchers, not to mention the guys they’re bringing up to replace them have minimal experience. Lest we forget, they just took 2 out of 4 from us. Doesn’t sound like a terrible team to me. And to be honest, the pitching was phenomenal in those games. Granted I think our bats just went cold, but it’s not like their lobbing out fast balls straight up the middle. They played well. So next time? Let’s use that thing between our ears before we start typing mkay?

Jays fans- please disregard these comments from dirtyharry, as he is not truly indicative of what a real O’s fan is. We’ve been there. We know what it’s like. No disrespect, especially after coming into our house and splitting with us.

• nbjays - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM

@rockthered1286: You are wasting your time. From all the posts I have seen on this site by dirtyharry, it is abundantly clear that he doesn’t know how to be anything BUT a d-bag. I have never seen a constructive post by him… ever… only trash talk, usually about the Jays. Either he bet a shitload of money on Toronto earlier in the season and is now bitter, or he is simply just an immature asshole… personally, I’m leaning toward option 2.

As much as I love the Jays, I can see that this season is a total disaster; injuries just kicked the crap out of the whole team. And as much as I was glad we won a couple at your ballpark, a big part of me would have loved to see you sweep us, just to see you beat the Evil Empire. I am glad the O’s are having such a great year, they have had a pretty dismal couple of decades (sorta like my Jays). I hope you make the postseason and keep on rolling.

6. jaysjunkie - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Yeah, rockthered1286, don’t even waste your time trying to talk sense to him. There’s clearly something wrong with him.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS