David Wright ties the all-time Mets hit record

Sep 26, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

New York Mets Wright runs up the first baseline after hitting a solo home run against the Pittsburgh Pirates during the first inning of their MLB National League baseball game in New York

Everyone on the planet noted it when Derek Jeter tied and then broke the Yankees all-time hit record, so we may as well note it for David Wright: last night he tied Ed Kranepool for the most hits in franchise history, with 1,418.

Kranepool was more of a story of perseverance, of course, as he took nine more seasons and nearly 600 more games to do it. Still, pretty cool.

Without looking, I’m going to take some time this morning and see if I can figure out the hits leaders for each team. I bet I can get, like, 15 of them.  Maybe you guys — on the honor system — should play that game in the comments.

1. drunkenhooliganism - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM

brewers- yount
    rockies- helton
    tampa- crawford
    dbacks- finley
    astros- biggio
    KC- brett
    pitt- probably some old dude like a waner or something

I gotta get back to work, I hope I hit on about 75%

• The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM

This stuff gets complicated with some teams, because their all-time hits leaders never played for the current incarnation of the franchise. Take the Twins, which used to be the Washington Senators. Is the all-time twins hit leader a guy from the Senators, or a guy from the Twins?

• thefalcon123 - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM

The guy from the Senators.

Do we discount 187 home runs from Willie Mays and make Barry Bonds the Giants all time home run leader because those came in New York and not San Francisco?

• brazcubas - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM

It depends on who owns the stats, I don’t know of any similar case in MLB, but when the NFL Browns moved to Baltimore, Cleveland got to keep the name and stats. So, statistically speaking, the Baltimore Ravens are an expansion team that began playing in 1996.

If the Twins own the stats, then the guy from the Senators is the leader

• natstowngreg - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

The stats follow the franchise.

Tim Wallach (1,694) leads the Expos/Nats in hits. (Yeah, I was surprised as well). Ryan Zimmerman (1,104) leads those who have played only for the Nats.

Sam Rice (2,889) leads the Senators/Twins. The HOF outfielder played for Washington, 1915-1933. More than 500 hits more than Kirby Puckett.

Michael Young (2,221) leads the Senators/Rangers.

Roberto Clemente (3,000) leads the Pirates, 33 ahead of Honus Wagner. Paul Waner is 3rd and Lloyd Waner 6th, so a Waner wasn’t a bad guess.

[Above stats can be found on baseball-reference.com, the greatest thing since sliced bread.]

• thefalcon123 - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM

“pitt- probably some old dude like a waner or something”

It’s Roberto Clemente

• drunkenhooliganism - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I should’ve got that one. I also missed the Cubs and the Expos and the Marlins and the DBacks. I think the rest are correct.

• thefalcon123 - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM

…I can’t believe you missed Luis Castillo. I mean, everyone knows that one.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Great choices Hooligan.

• deadeyedesign23 - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Here’s the answers minus the new Mets leader: http://baseball.about.com/od/majorleaguehistory/a/teamhitleaders.htm

Would not have guessed the Dodgers leader.

2. pmcenroe - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM

for the Twins its gotta be Carew, but for the entire franchise I think its someone like Sam Rice or there’s someone I’m forgetting his name who played for the Senators who fell just short of 3000 hits (although that was before it was abig deal)

• pmcenroe - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM

had to give myself a thumbs down for this, Rice is the franchise leader but Puckett had more than Carew. I’ll go sit in a corner for the rest of the day

• drunkenhooliganism - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I thought Puckett was a lot closer to 3000 hits.

I was wrong on the marlins too.

• mybrunoblog - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Take a moment and go compare Pucketts and Don Mattinglys numbers. After closely examining the stats I expect most people will say one of two things. Either ask the question ” how did Puckett get into the HOF” or “why isn’t Mattingly in the HOF”.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Don’t blame yourself. Nobody ever said “I got mad hits like I was Kirby Puckett”

• pmcenroe - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM

@mybrunoblog

While on the surface I agree Mattingly and Puckett’s careers look somewhat similar. I think the manner in which their careers came to an end played a big role in their HOF status. While Mattingly was clearly breaking down when he retired, Puckett on the other hand was still going quite strong when he had to walk away. He most likely would have gotten 3000 hits…

3. justinreds - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Cincinnati Reds Pete Rose 3358. I bet (sorry for the pun) he has to be close to the top for hits on one team in the NL

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Could be Justin. The problem is…did he play enough seasons for any of the three teams?
      By the way…good work on the pun.

4. thefalcon123 - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Due to the highly flawed list another poster posted, here are the franchise leaders for his for every team:

Arizona: Luis Gonzalez- 1337
    St. Louis: Stan Musial- 3630
    Tampa Bay: Carl Crawford- 1480
    Texas: Michael Young- 2221
    Toronto: Tony Fernandez- 1583
    Washington: Tim Wallach- 1694

• thefalcon123 - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Ahh, it turns out he was posting those as guesses, which turns it from a terrible list to actually pretty damn good guesses.

• mybrunoblog - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM

You have too much time on your hands bro.

• foreverchipper10 - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I honestly have no idea who that Zack Wheat guy is.

• deepstblu - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Mack Wheat’s brother, of course.

• Gamera the Brave - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Don’t forget their little brother CreamO…

• indaburg - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Aw, man, you just ruined Craig’s game. So… who was Keyser Soze?

• kiwicricket - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

It’s pretty funny seeing Luis Castillo on a list with those other names. Go Marlins!

• nbjays - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Gonzo’s hit total for Arizona makes him the most “leet” player on the list lol

5. nategearhart - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Here, just take this Sporcle quiz and see how you do. (It’s probably at least a year old, though).

6. natstowngreg - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

1,419 hits? Ed Kranepool? I remember him as a young player shuffling between the Mets and the Buffalo Bisons in 1962.

Half a century and that ‘s the best the Mets could do? That’s really a surprise.

• natstowngreg - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Oops, 1,418. Was anticipating Wright breaking the tie.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2525)