Freddie Freeman’s homer wasn’t the shot heard round the world, but …

Sep 26, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Miami Marlins v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Confession: I didn’t have the Braves game on when Freddie Freeman hit his walkoff homer to clinch the wild card for the Braves. My kids were up late being crazy and by the time they went to sleep, I chilled out, sat down and finally had a moment to myself I had already missed it. It happens, and that’s what MLB.tv archived games are for anyway.

But reader Shafer’s Dealer — nice nickname! — commented this morning that Freeman’s homer was historic:

The crew on the telecast said that Freeman is one of two players in history to send their team into the play offs with a home run when behind in the ninth. The other was Bobby Thompson with “the shot heard around the world”.

Freddie Freeman’s Walk-off Flying Dragon Kick into home plate is one to remember.

Kinda cool.

1. Shafer's Dealer - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

From an ESPN article:
    Freeman is the seventh player in major league history to hit a walk-off home run to clinch a team’s postseason berth.

He is just the second, however, to hit the game-winning homer with his team trailing in the game. The other was Bobby Thomson’s “Shot Heard ‘Round the World” for the 1951 New York Giants.

One of the announcers (Carry, Simpson, or Glavine I think) called it the “The Shot Heard Around The South”.
    Sadly it will likely go in Braves lore but not baseball’s like Thompsons hit did.
    We can thank Bud for that, if the Braves had clinched the (only) Wild Card last night it would have been a bigger deal.

• Shafer's Dealer - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM

We can thank Bud for the Wild Card period, but we all know where I am going with that.. if it was a three game play-off/in, I wouldn’t complain.

I want to mention, lost in Freeman’s homer is that Chipper was on base with a lead-off double assisting with the two run part of that home run.
      And Greg Maddux Kris Medlen. The Braves have won the last 22 games that he has started.

2. blacksables - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Bobby Thompson game – 3 game playoff after 154 game season to put his team in the World Series

Freddie Freeman game – 154th game of a 162 game season that will allow his team to play in Bud’s one-game playoff

One of these things is not like the other; one of these things just doesn’t belong.

3. Francisco (FC) - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Kinda cool.
    Whaddayamean ‘Kinda Cool’. The correct phrase here is:

CROWNING MOMENT OF AWESOME

4. thebadguyswon - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Gonna be even cooler when the Cards knock them out in Atlanta.

5. Phillies Homer - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM

It’d be a bigger deal if there was any doubt that the Braves would be one of the wildcard teams.

Maybe call it the “Shot Heard Round Turner Field” .. b/c nobody else is going to remember it, except for maybe the 22k-25k people in the stadium that witnessed it.

• planck16 - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM

What Braves’ fans will remember most is how Roy Halladay cannot pitch in the heat and how he single handly stopped bad skids for the Braves and started successful runs!

We will also remember how the Phillies payroll is dominant, but that is not reflective of wins.

We will also remember how your Big 4 and then Big 3 Starting pitchers really never accomplished anything but one NL East Title and in the end the comparison of Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, and Avery was not even close. We also will remember this year as the year that time and workload caught up with Lee and Halladay and they will never be the same pitchers again.

We also will remember that this year Ryan Howard’s last AB means nothing.

We also will remember how Phillies’ fans abandon their team early and jump back on, to just jump back off again.

We also will remember how the Phillies’ minor league organization is a joke.

Pretty memorable year in my opinion!

• Phillies Homer - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Weird how the Phillies started to win once Utley and Howard came back huh?

Weird how Phillies fans could “abandon” their team, yet lead MLB in attendance?

Weird how there were more fans in the ballpark to witness Darin “Babe” Ruf’s 1st MLB homer than there were to see a “wild card clinching” HR by Freeman… and really… that is just sad.

Enjoy the playoffs… but most likely, enjoy the extra game that Atlanta gets to play before joining the Phillies players on the golf course.

• planck16 - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Weird is you are madder than me right now, so I have accomplished what I wanted to do!

Weird is a Sell Out streak stopping when your team started to blow!

Funny is having a leader in Jimmy Rollins who doesn’t hustle!

Funny is having the bulk of your money tied up in injury prone vets!

Funny is basing your future on a Chase Utley who will be lucky to be in the majors in 2 years and Ryan Howard whose weight will just continue to increase as he gets older and more injured.

Funny is the Braves were 12-6 vs. the Fightin’ Phailures!

Funny is that the World Series you won was the lowest rated World Series in the history of TV!

Funny is you have no Hall of Famers on your team unless LEROY can win 50 more games!

Funny is how the loser city of Philadelphia has to create a hero in Rocky to cheer for.

Funny is your comparing the #4 Market in the US vs the #20 Market!

Funny is calling your 5 year run a dynasty!

Funny is the Braves are #15 in attendance, so stop thinking they are in last place in this category!

• Phillies Homer - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I can guarantee you that I am not madder than you right now. You’re the one feeling the need to spit off as many knocks against Philly as possible… How much time did you spend on google?

The Sell Out streak stopped in, what, July? Months after they’ve “sucked”. The fact that it held while we we were trotting out Schneider, Orr, Luna, Martinez, Fontenot, Wigginton, Nix, Galvis is pretty impressive.

Jimmy, also the guy that put the team on his back for the “latest push”. Show me a guy, besides Utley, that will leg out a pop up to the pitcher.

Not Amaro… but getting out of Pence’s, Blanton’s, Victorino’s contracts will make us favorites to land Michael Bourn!

I’m not basing the future on those guys… I was basing the first half of the season on Utley/Howard.

Braves are 3-6 against the Phillies the past 9 ;)

Lowest rated because we played the Rays. But, when was the last time the Braves won the world series?

Who on the Braves will be considered Hall of Fame worthy besides Chipper? Also, actually had a discussion about this earlier, you don’t think Jimmy could get in? I’m on the fence about it… but he has been one of the most productive SS in MLB history with an MVP to his name. Food for thought. But, if Hamels keeps his game up, he should be a lock. I would also think Doc gets in, but unless he wins the WS has a Phillie, right now, I think he’d go in as a Blue Jay.

Grasping at straws with the Rocky reference… maybe should have left that one out.

I’m comparing baseball teams. Your team couldn’t sell out the ballpark back when the Braves were winning all the NL East titles!

I never called it a dynasty. But, we won as many World Series as the Braves’ dynasty in the 90s.

Worst among all playoff contenders (not counting the Rays). (I’m shooting off the hip there, I don’t feel like looking it up)

I think I’ve addressed all your points.

• planck16 - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

1. Braves are 5-4 in the last 9 games vs the Phailures.
        2. Bourn will be a National
        3. Rollins a Hall of Famer gave me the biggest laugh in a long time. He is in the Hall of Good, not Great or Fame. If Rollins makes it then let’s put Will Clark, Mark Grace, Don Mattingly, and Dale Murphy in. Rollins a Hall of Famer, another great example of how Feelies Fans are blinded by all outside of a 215 and 610 area code. I know this, I live in Bucks County and see the blindness first hand.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Petty unreasonable response.

• jl9830 - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Both of you are awful. 14 division titles with only 1 championship + Last year’s collapse? Laughable. Most losses of any franchise in sports history + last 5 years being the only good years in franchise history? Despicable. You both are awful.

• Phillies Homer - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:44 PM

1 – Still not as bad as 12 – 6 huh? :)
        2 – Who cares, he’s not going to be a Brave
        3 – Just trying to engage conversation… I said I was “on the fence” about it. The fact that you are so dismissive of it shows the blinders you have on for being a Braves fan. I know you’ve been on google a lot today, but type in “Jimmy Rollins Hall of Famer” and I guarantee you there will be plenty of articles that will pop up comparing him to Barry Larkin and Ozzie Smith and then list all of Rollins accomplishments making a case for him. But, again… I’m on the fence, especially since the past couple of seasons he has been regressing.

You started off with 12 points, I answered all 12 and you only could counter 3 — one of them about Michael Bourn (who cares). Carry on with your day.

• planck16 - Sep 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM

That is an insult to Barry Larkin and especially Ozzie Smith to be compared to Jimmy Rollins. Larkin and the Wizard were never benched for not hustling and their leadership are way above that of J-Ro.

Ozzie and Barry are class guys who had the media eating from the palm of their hand. Every radio station in Philly hates Jimmy due to his smugness.

I only researched google for the Braves attendance ranking.

99% of your argument is based on 2008 -2011.

I am talking about today. Where the Braves are 11 games ahead of the Jills and in the Playoffs while your team is playing for 3rd and getting mediocre prospects playing time

Now, get off your work computer at the tire store in Fishtown that you work and go repair that flat. You only have 40 more minutes of computer time before you start your SEPTA ride home.

• Phillies Homer - Sep 26, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I didn’t write the articles… and since when does being classy get you a hall of fame vote? J-Roll matched or are in the ballpark of these players offensively and defensively.

Also, you’re bad at percentages. And, what I’m basing things on is in response to something you said. Most dating back to the 90s.

Today, the Braves are 11 games ahead of the Jills (I’ll go with it) because they had Utley and Howard on the DL for the first half of the year. Injuries happen, what can you do. Consider the Braves lucky that they happened to the Phils rather than them this year… only reason why they are making the playoffs this year.

Tire shop… haha, that is kinda good but why a tire shop? I have no response to it, even though you tell me to get off the computer… but then say I only have 40 minutes of computer time left… but, I got your point.

• planck16 - Sep 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Ok ok. Utley and Howard are the only reason the Phils are not in the Playoffs. It has nothing to do with zero offensive production from the outfield or a terrible bullpen or mediocre years from Lee and Halladay. It is all because of Utley and Howard. Not because the Nationals or Braves have quality starting pitching and better bullpens. Putting all your faith in Utley and Howard was like putting all your faith in Terrell Owens and Donovan MCNabb.

You will have a lot of .500 years with your faith in Old Man and Fat Boy.

6. moogro - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Less regular season games and more wildcard playoff games? More scheduled double-headers to allow 162? Or November baseball?

7. natstowngreg - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

For obvious reasons, I wish Freddie had struck out or hit a popup or something. It is cool to walk off to the clinch a playoff spot, though.

But a little perspective here. Freeman’s homer clinched an appearance in the National League Death Match(tm). Bobby Thomson’s clinched the National League championship. And that didn’t surpass Bill Mazeroski’s walk-off homer in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series. Thomson just had better PR, in the form of Russ Hodges’ great call. And New York City hype, of course.

BTW, what about Mike Scott’s no-hitter to clinch a playoff spot for the 1986 Astros? That was pretty remarkable.

• stex52 - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I was there in the stands when Scott did it. Thanks for bringing back the fond memory. 26 years ago yesterday.

• natstowngreg - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Extraordinarily cool. Never witnessed a no-hitter in person.

• stex52 - Sep 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Hard to say if the crowd response was bigger to the no-hitter or clinching the playoffs. It was a given at that point that the Astros were going to win the NL West. But it was quite a day.

I hope you do have the experience at some time.

• florida76 - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM

In terms of significance, even Bobby Thomson’s NL winning homer is way behind the Maz and Joe Carter blasts to win World Titles.

At the end of the day, baseball is still more about winning than statistics, and players who rise to the occasion on the biggest stage will inevitably have the greatest glory.

8. planck16 - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM

All very good points, but the fact that the Braves are 5-4 not 3-6 against the Jills in the last 9 games leaves me to believe most of your nonsense is fabricated. Don’t you remember the last series where you lost 2 of 3?

Second, you have zero chance of Michael Bourn as he will be a National with all of Boras’ other guys.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4650)