Heath Bell’s teammates tried to shame him; Ozzie wouldn’t take his call

Sep 26, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

heath bell ap AP

We saw the Heath Bell/Ozzie Guillen drama as it was unfolding yesterday, but today Clark Spencer of the Herald has more details.

For starters, that whole bit where Greg Dobbs was ushering reporters out of the clubhouse while Ozzie was on the radio yesterday?  Here’s what that was about:

Reporters walked in unknowingly on the awkward clubhouse scene before being detected by players and ushered back out by Greg Dobbs. But sources said the point was for players to show they supported their manager and to humiliate Bell.

And Bell acknowledged later that, in the aftermath of his incendiary comments ripping the manager, his teammates probably had little respect for him anymore.

“Yeah,” Bell said, “I’ve pretty much lost all that.”

And Bell’s damage control continued, with him saying that he called Ozzie the night before to apologize and/or explain himself better. About that:

Bell said he phoned Guillen on Monday night to say he was sorry.

Guillen said he didn’t answer because he didn’t recognize the number. He also said that, by accident, he erased the message that Bell had left thinking it was from a media outlet wanting to talk to him about the incident.

“No matter what he said,” Guillen said, “it’s not going to resolve anything.”

Sounds like Heath Bell is persona non grata in the Marlins clubhouse.

1. The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Poor guy. Now he’s probably going to get traded off of that powerhouse of a baseball team. That’s got to hurt.

• echech88 - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM

And that team will surely get him on a heavy discount.

• cur68 - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Heath “Heavy Discount” Bell: has a certain ring to it, eh?

• realgone2 - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Jettison some weight or will never make it to Cybertron!

• skerney - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM

If Heath Bell plays for a playoff team next year, he is a Genius.

• kiwicricket - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM

‘Lucky bastard’ might be more fitting.

2. kevinleaptrot - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Wow. And these guys were supposed to contend for the NL East this year. That’s a Clown Clubhouse Bro!

3. lyon810 - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM

This is why you don’t sign closers to three year contracts

• paperlions - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Because they might go on a local sports talk show and rip the manager? Really? That’s why?

• kevinbnyc - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I think he was referring to Heath sucking ass all year.

4. realgone2 - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel

5. indaburg - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I heard that Ozzie passed a note during fifth period math class that said Heath Bell was a fat cow and he smells.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Then during recess Ozzie got all his friends to pick Heath last for dodgeball.

6. thebadguyswon - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Lol….now they have to trade him and have no leverage. Have fun Loria!

7. icanspeel - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

It is true in cases that money doesn’t buy happiness. Bell got the big contract he wanted (I was surprised a team gave it to him) and after that everything has been down hill.

8. bsbiz - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Old School Shunning

9. willclarkgameface - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

The Marlins are lame.
    Heath Bell is pretty lame (and old and not as good as he once was).
    Ozzie, while entertaining, is lame.
    Loria is SUPER lame.

There is nothing good to take away from the 2012 Marlins.

Even their stadium sucks.

You know what I usually put next and I’m not even going to bother because you think it too.

• echech88 - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I agree with everything but the stadium. I visited in June and was pretty impressed. Sometimes different/weird is good when half the stadiums in the league are always trying to rip off Camden and AT&T

• nbjays - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

And here I though the worst thing about the Marlins were their uniforms… oh, and that…. THING… in center field. Turns out the worst thing about them was… well…. everything.

Couldn’t happen to a nicer owner.

• thebadguyswon - Sep 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Exactly. That “thing” is absurd. The uniforms are bush league and the owner is a world-class douche. Props for the trophy wife cover though…good stuff.

10. echech88 - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Will be interesting to see how much money the Marlins will eat to ship him out since that is certain to happen.

• cur68 - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:48 AM

It’s going to be at least half if not more, I bet. In fact, since I’m wagering here, I’m also going to bet that he goes to the Astros, a team that has no use for a closer and could use a useless closer.

• stex52 - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Haven’t they suffered enough?

• cur68 - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Sorry about that, bro. I was hoping you didn’t see that. But at this point, who else would take a chance on him?

• mazblast - Sep 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Bell and lots of cash to Cleveland for Chris Perez.

• tommyshih - Sep 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Whatever they don’t eat I’m sure Heath will be glancing at longingly. “You gonna finish that?”

11. bigmeechy74 - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I’ve decided that my calling in life should be as a “common sense consultant.” I don’t have the pedigree or the respect to conduct practices as a basketball, football, or baseball coach/manager. But I could be hired to answer simple common sense questions. The football coach could call me and ask “should I kick or go for it?” and I would provide them with the answer that makes the most sense. Because I’m stunned at the idiotic decisions made by these people. If the front office of the Marlins would have called me and said “Should we sign Heath Bell?” I would have said HELL NO and they would’ve been better off. Common sense consultant, That’s my calling.

• Kevin S. - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Did you pay Bill Simmons royalties for that post?

• bigmeechy74 - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM

If he used that term I was not aware of it.

12. kiwicricket - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Heath is yet to insult Loria and that minion who humps his leg. One week to go in the season…fingers crossed people!

13. chargrz - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Ozzie is a total Clown!

14. exibitsman - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Last year Heath Bell was one of the top closers in MLB.

15. thesmedman - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Dear Mr Loria,

Please end this NOW. It’s getting embarrassing for you.

Then pursue a good, solid manager with managerial experience, ideally — and one with a lot of political skill to not set off the press down there…

16. deathmonkey41 - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Can someone explain how ushering reporters out of the clubhouse slams Heath Bell and shows support for the manager? Ima what they call confused.

• xmatt0926x - Sep 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

deathmonkey, I was confused about that too. Then I linked to the actual story. The point was that they wanted blast the radio in the clubhouse so Bell had to hear the interview Ozzie was doing on the radio in response to Bells comments. In that interview Ozzie also pointed out that Bell has blamed many people other then himself for his poor pitching. The funniest part was at the end Bell tells the media he’s done talking to them for the rest of his contract. He tells them to write whatever they want because for the whole season they’ve been doing that anyway. So even to the end Bell is blaming someone else for his trouble. I’m not an Ozzie fan at all, but Bell really sunk his own ship in this case.

17. scratchnsniffnblog - Sep 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Is this where I make my “For Whom the Bell Tolls/A Farewell to Arms” joke?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5495)