Sep 26, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
We saw the Heath Bell/Ozzie Guillen drama as it was unfolding yesterday, but today Clark Spencer of the Herald has more details.
For starters, that whole bit where Greg Dobbs was ushering reporters out of the clubhouse while Ozzie was on the radio yesterday? Here’s what that was about:
Reporters walked in unknowingly on the awkward clubhouse scene before being detected by players and ushered back out by Greg Dobbs. But sources said the point was for players to show they supported their manager and to humiliate Bell.
And Bell acknowledged later that, in the aftermath of his incendiary comments ripping the manager, his teammates probably had little respect for him anymore.
“Yeah,” Bell said, “I’ve pretty much lost all that.”
And Bell’s damage control continued, with him saying that he called Ozzie the night before to apologize and/or explain himself better. About that:
Bell said he phoned Guillen on Monday night to say he was sorry.
Guillen said he didn’t answer because he didn’t recognize the number. He also said that, by accident, he erased the message that Bell had left thinking it was from a media outlet wanting to talk to him about the incident.
“No matter what he said,” Guillen said, “it’s not going to resolve anything.”
Sounds like Heath Bell is persona non grata in the Marlins clubhouse.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)