Sep 26, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
We saw the Heath Bell/Ozzie Guillen drama as it was unfolding yesterday, but today Clark Spencer of the Herald has more details.
For starters, that whole bit where Greg Dobbs was ushering reporters out of the clubhouse while Ozzie was on the radio yesterday? Here’s what that was about:
Reporters walked in unknowingly on the awkward clubhouse scene before being detected by players and ushered back out by Greg Dobbs. But sources said the point was for players to show they supported their manager and to humiliate Bell.
And Bell acknowledged later that, in the aftermath of his incendiary comments ripping the manager, his teammates probably had little respect for him anymore.
“Yeah,” Bell said, “I’ve pretty much lost all that.”
And Bell’s damage control continued, with him saying that he called Ozzie the night before to apologize and/or explain himself better. About that:
Bell said he phoned Guillen on Monday night to say he was sorry.
Guillen said he didn’t answer because he didn’t recognize the number. He also said that, by accident, he erased the message that Bell had left thinking it was from a media outlet wanting to talk to him about the incident.
“No matter what he said,” Guillen said, “it’s not going to resolve anything.”
Sounds like Heath Bell is persona non grata in the Marlins clubhouse.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 28
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 58
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27