How loud is Citi Field?

Sep 26, 2012, 11:33 AM EST

Spinal Tap

I imagine you could do this at any park of an also-ran, but people tend to relish this sort of thing much more when the Mets are involved.

The Wall Street Journal purchased a decibel meter and went to Monday’s Mets game:

As the Mets took the field to the sound of “Meet the Mets,” the stadium noise reached 80 decibels. The Center for Hearing and Communication lists sounds equivalent to 80 decibels as “pop-up toaster,” “doorbell,” “ringing telephone” and “whistling kettle.”

And that was among the louder moments of the evening. As Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia threw the game’s first pitch, the noise level was 66 decibels. For most of the night, it held steady around 65, putting it in the same range as “washing machine” and “electric toothbrush.”

Whatever. Frankly, I’d be way more dismissive of a fan base that came and made crazy noise for a lousy team. Because while is loyalty is laudable, there comes a time when too much of it turns into delusion. Nothing wrong with going to a lousy team’s late season game in a mostly empty stadium and not screaming your head off.

Sounds pretty enjoyable actually.

1. mybrunoblog - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:38 AM

It may not have been very loud at Citi Field but the nineteen people that were there we’re trying to cheer as best as they could.

• deepstblu - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Years ago I went to a September Expos-Phillies game that was hastily moved to Philly after pieces of concrete started falling off of Olympic Stadium…there were about 5,000 people there, all of them were close to the field, and all of them wanted to SCREAM. It sounded like a much bigger crowd.

2. shaggylocks - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM

SWEEEEET CAROLINE!!! BAHM BAHM BUHM!

3. bennyandthemets - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I think Craig enjoys trolling us Mets fans with posts like this…while his Braves march on into the postseason

4. The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I’m sure it’s not particularly loud at CitiField. But choosing an empty section of the stadium certainly is going to make it seem quieter. They also provide no other points of reference. How loud is it at Turner Field? Yankee Stadium? The only other sporting event they mention is the Stanley Cup Finals, which is not only sure to be more exciting than a random baseball game, it’s also played indoors, where volumes are going to be a lot higher.

All in all, this is pretty sensationalist reporting for the Journal. If they want to show that Citi is unusually quiet, they’ve got to have other data points showing how loud it “should” be.

5. rollinghighwayblues - Sep 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Big deal. If you want quiet just tune into an Astros game. I swear you could hear a mouse fart.

• dan1111 - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I don”t think so. Mice have better things to do than attend Astros games.

6. thebadguyswon - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I was at a well-attended game in 2010 at Citi. Its definitely quieter than Shea was. Maybe it will change when they’re good again. We’ll find out in 2018 or so.

• Gobias Industries - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

How are you going to find out in 2018? Is that when you’re planning on buying a time machine to travel to the year 2032 when they’re good again?

7. mattyflex - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM

A normal conversation from one person to another measures between 60 and 65 decibels. So basically this report indicates people in one particular section were talking at a normal volume level throughout the majority of the game, other than the moment when they may or may not have clapped for the first pitch.

Neat.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM

If you read the article, it says they set the apparatus up in a section of the stadium that was empty.

“After a short walk toward left field, we settled on Section 525, which overlooks an area about halfway between third base and the foul pole. All of the more than 400 seats in the section were unoccupied. We chose Row 10, Seat 24, and turned on the meter.”

So as much as I’d like that to be the case, they were actually just far away from everyone that actually attended the game.

• mattyflex - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

But… I didn’t want to read the article, I just came here to make a snide comment because I knew roughly the correct decibel level of a normal conversation.

Why would you take the time to call me out on that? Now I just look stupid.

I’m just writing today off as an all-around fail for me. I have not been successful in any aspect of life.

8. pauleee - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM

We’d kill for 80 decibels in Anaheim. But only if they told us to on the scoreboard!

• cosanostra71 - Sep 26, 2012 at 4:12 PM

You mean we’re supposed to cheer at Angels games? I just go for some Panda Express.

9. paperlions - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM

80 decibels is also how loud it was in Atlanta last night when Freeman hit that HR.

10. hittfamily - Sep 26, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Any reason to use a pic of the “Goes up to 11″ amplifier is good by me!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3322)
  2. J. Kang (3145)
  3. C. McGehee (2855)
  4. J. Upton (2853)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2834)
  1. D. Ross (2688)