Sep 26, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
I imagine you could do this at any park of an also-ran, but people tend to relish this sort of thing much more when the Mets are involved.
The Wall Street Journal purchased a decibel meter and went to Monday’s Mets game:
As the Mets took the field to the sound of “Meet the Mets,” the stadium noise reached 80 decibels. The Center for Hearing and Communication lists sounds equivalent to 80 decibels as “pop-up toaster,” “doorbell,” “ringing telephone” and “whistling kettle.”
And that was among the louder moments of the evening. As Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia threw the game’s first pitch, the noise level was 66 decibels. For most of the night, it held steady around 65, putting it in the same range as “washing machine” and “electric toothbrush.”
Whatever. Frankly, I’d be way more dismissive of a fan base that came and made crazy noise for a lousy team. Because while is loyalty is laudable, there comes a time when too much of it turns into delusion. Nothing wrong with going to a lousy team’s late season game in a mostly empty stadium and not screaming your head off.
Sounds pretty enjoyable actually.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)