Sep 26, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
It’s been nearly a year since Jason Varitek hung up the tools of ignorance. Now he’s looking to go back to work for the Sox:
Retired Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek, according to a major league source, is “close” to agreement on a role within the Sox organization. It is possible that he will head to Florida in the coming days to work with Red Sox minor leaguers taking part in the fall instructional league.
No sense of what the job is yet, though many have speculated that he could one day manage the Sox. Gotta walk before you run, though.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)