Sep 26, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
The Nationals do the President’s Race during the fourth inning of every home game. Famously — and, increasingly, tediously — the Teddy Roosevelt mascot has never won the race. It has become a thing, as they say, and people have been lobbying to Let Teddy Win.
But rumors are now swirling that the parody of the spectacled 26th president could finally have his day in the sun. Whispers is hearing that the Nationals, who have already secured a playoff spot, are planning to have Teddy win the Presidents Race in the Nationals final regular season game next Wednesday.
Is it too much to ask that, on the day Teddy finally wins, the Nationals complete their late season collapse and lose the NL East, forcing them into a wild card game that, in a sane world, Stephen Strasburg would start? Curse of Teddy kind of thing? I sort of feel like that’s too much to ask. But, you know, just sayin’.
In other news:
Whispers is hearing, too, that a brand new racing president could be introduced next season, though no word on whether that president would replace Teddy or be added to the roster.
Let Chester A. Arthur win!
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 25
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 44
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)