Sep 26, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
The Nationals do the President’s Race during the fourth inning of every home game. Famously — and, increasingly, tediously — the Teddy Roosevelt mascot has never won the race. It has become a thing, as they say, and people have been lobbying to Let Teddy Win.
But rumors are now swirling that the parody of the spectacled 26th president could finally have his day in the sun. Whispers is hearing that the Nationals, who have already secured a playoff spot, are planning to have Teddy win the Presidents Race in the Nationals final regular season game next Wednesday.
Is it too much to ask that, on the day Teddy finally wins, the Nationals complete their late season collapse and lose the NL East, forcing them into a wild card game that, in a sane world, Stephen Strasburg would start? Curse of Teddy kind of thing? I sort of feel like that’s too much to ask. But, you know, just sayin’.
In other news:
Whispers is hearing, too, that a brand new racing president could be introduced next season, though no word on whether that president would replace Teddy or be added to the roster.
Let Chester A. Arthur win!
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 43
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 168
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)