Sep 26, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
The Nationals do the President’s Race during the fourth inning of every home game. Famously — and, increasingly, tediously — the Teddy Roosevelt mascot has never won the race. It has become a thing, as they say, and people have been lobbying to Let Teddy Win.
But rumors are now swirling that the parody of the spectacled 26th president could finally have his day in the sun. Whispers is hearing that the Nationals, who have already secured a playoff spot, are planning to have Teddy win the Presidents Race in the Nationals final regular season game next Wednesday.
Is it too much to ask that, on the day Teddy finally wins, the Nationals complete their late season collapse and lose the NL East, forcing them into a wild card game that, in a sane world, Stephen Strasburg would start? Curse of Teddy kind of thing? I sort of feel like that’s too much to ask. But, you know, just sayin’.
In other news:
Whispers is hearing, too, that a brand new racing president could be introduced next season, though no word on whether that president would replace Teddy or be added to the roster.
Let Chester A. Arthur win!
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (130)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)