Thanks to the mega Dodgers sale, Frank and Jamie McCourt are back in court

Sep 26, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

Combination of file photos of Frank and Jamie McCourt during their divorce trial in Los Angeles

Aww, I missed you guys! I really, really did!

The ex-wife of former Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt wants to set aside the couple’s divorce settlement, claiming he vastly understated the value of a team that sold earlier this year for $2 billion, the highest figure ever paid for a pro sports franchise.

Jamie McCourt’s attorney, Bertram Fields, told The Associated Press that she “thought very long and very hard about whether to file this motion” but that after other means failed, she returned to court.

Jamie McCourt, you’ll recall, settled their divorce case for $131 million.  This was back when Frank McCourt didn’t look like he’d end up with a pot to piss in because absolutely no one figured he’d get $2 billion for the Dodgers.  At the time she and her quite able legal staff made what they thought was a good deal.

Her theory is fraud — that Frank misrepresented the value of the Dodgers.  I presume the counter will be that hanging on for the ride in the sale of a professional sports franchise is a risky endeavor and, by settling before the sale, Jamie decided not to assume any risk yet now wants the rewards of that sale.

I really don’t know the intricacies of rich people divorce cases, so I have no idea if she has a leg to stand on, legally speaking.  But my kneejerk reaction is to say that it takes an awful lot of chutzpah to sleep with the help, blow up the marriage, sue your ex, settle for well over $100 million as everyone in the world is also going after him and then, over a year later, come back and say “please, sir, I’d like some more.”

That said, the fact that I can muster any sympathy for a guy like McCourt here kind of turns my stomach, so maybe I should just root for expensive, protracted litigation that bankrupts them both and leaves no winners.

1. kevinleaptrot - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM

And the lawyers win again!

2. indaburg - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:25 AM

That is a special kind of chutzpah. Those two need to go away. Far, far away. Ok, nothing to do with baseball, but the way to handle celebrity divorce is Katie Holmes’s way. Do what’s in your kid’s best interest, don’t be greedy, and keep your mouth shut.

3. dcfan4life - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Greedy, gold digging twats listening to blood sucking, weasel lawyers about attacking a lying, cheating, former baseball owner equals more money changing hands. Its like an awful movie with no one to root for, no likeable characters, an obvious outcome, and yet you have to watch!!!

4. psunick - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:34 AM

That last paragraph is your Pulitzer Prize of the year, Craig!

Absolutely right on!

• bigharold - Sep 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM

There’s an old saying about why divorce is so expensive, … because they’re worth it!!!

Actually I would go quite as far as Criag. I’m thinking that she must be a world class bitch to make me take McCourt’s side. I mean 130 mil isn’t enough?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 26, 2012 at 4:48 PM

You insensitive lout! Do you have any idea how hard it is to try to make ends meet on a mere $131,000,000.00? Until you’ve tried, you really shouldn’t pass judgment.

• bigharold - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Holly, .. is that you?

Nah, my wife detest baseball …

5. AlohaMrHand - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I’d love to see them both go the way of Mortimer and Randolph Duke

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM

You mean homeless and in rags so when someone drops a $100 bill on them Frank grabs it and goes: “Jamie! We’re Back!”

6. kiwicricket - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Jamie is just bored and busting Frank’s balls.

I still hold out the slimmest of slithers that we get to see ‘sad Frank’ face again on HBT.

7. sportsdrenched - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I think Dr Suess’ The Sneetches is a more apt fable for these two.

8. Francisco (FC) - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Dang it I can’t believe that in the pit of my gut I feel a smidgeon of Sympathy for Frank McCourt being chased by that gold digger who assumed none of the risk of going through the sale of the Dodgers but wants to reap all the rewards- oh wait. It was just a bit of gas. It’s all good now.

Go get him Jamie! May you both tumble into the depths of Mount Doom chasing your misbegotten ring!

9. manchestermiracle - Sep 26, 2012 at 9:58 AM

And yet another big “thanks” to baseball for approving the sale of the Dodgers to these scumbags. At least this time around the league actually required the buyers (Guggenheim) to have money to purchase the team.

10. gmsalpha - Sep 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM

It’s funny that their last name includes “court”, as that is where they will both be spending most of the rest of their lives.

They deserve each other.

11. rcali - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Don’t get married. That’s what I’ve taken out of this.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Don’t be a total dick and marry a golddigging [insert off color insult here]. That’s what I’ve taken from this.

12. moogro - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM

“Thought very long and very hard about whether to file this motion.” Uh, right. They started preparing the case from before the date of sale and are only have some weaselly angles ready now.

13. natstowngreg - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Please make the McCourts go away.

14. JB (the original) - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

…it takes an awful lot of chutzpah to sleep with the help, blow up the marriage, sue your ex, settle for well over $100 million as everyone in the world is also going after him and then, over a year later, come back and say “please, sir, I’d like some more.”

It’s not chutzpah, she’s just got electrolytes.

• 4cornersfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Except for the $100 million and sleeping with the help it pretty much describes my divorce.

15. psunick - Sep 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Wow!

This thread could be the HBT all-time winner for ratio of positive thumbs up to thumbs down.

In fact, I’d like the three-four thumbs downers to kindly explain themselves.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3353)