Sep 26, 2012, 6:46 PM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez, loser of his last six decisions and 17 games overall, won’t pitch again this season because of a sprained ankle.
Jimenez finishes up 9-17 with a 5.55 ERA and a 143/95 K/BB ratio in 176 2/3 innings. He’s 13-21 with a 5.43 ERA in 242 innings since the Indians traded arguably their two top pitching prospects — Drew Pomeranz and Alex White — to the Rockies for him in mid-2011.
The Indians will have to decide this winter whether to exercise Jimenez’s $5.75 million option for 2013, to decline it and go through the arbitration process or to non-tender him. Since the option comes with a $1 million buyout, picking it up probably makes the most sense. It’s doubtful he’d come any cheaper than $4.75 million through arbitration, and even though he’s been a huge disappointment, it’d be worth it to give him one more year and see what happens. It’s not as though the Indians have a ton of young pitching busting down the door.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (89)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon