Sep 27, 2012, 5:40 AM EDT
Tigers 5, Royals 4: Andy Dirks broke up what would have been an inning-ending double play in the eighth inning which allowed Don Kelly to score. Little things can make all the difference between winning the division and sitting at home in October.
Nationals 8, Phillies 4: Bryce Harper became only the second teenager to hit 20 homers in a season. Tony Conigliaro was the other. Ryan Howard got booed. Jayson Werth got booed. Lotta booing in Philly last night.
Brewers 8, Reds 1: Ryan Braun hot a homer — he leads the National League — keeping the Brewers on life support for another day. Cincinnati falls a game back of Washington for the best record in the NL and home field advantage in the NLCS, should they make it there.
Rays 4, Reds Sox 2: Know what? The White Sox have to play four games against the hot-and-spoiling-to-spoil Rays this weekend. That seems like it bodes poorly.
Rockies 6, Cubs 0: Drew Pomeranz shut looked sharp and the Rockies won their third in a row.
Angels 4, Mariners 3: L.A. just has to keep winning and hope that the Rangers take care of the A’s over the next week. The Angels did their part at least, and remain two back in the wild card. Torii Hunter tied it with an RBI single in the seventh and won it with a walkoff RBI single in the ninth.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)