Sep 27, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
Rangers setup man Mike Adams had allowed one homer in 51 2/3 innings this season until suddenly giving up three to the five A’s hitters he faced today.
Fortunately for Adams, the Rangers had a 9-4 cushion when he entered and they went on to win 9-7 to split a four-game series with the A’s.
Texas jumped out to a 5-0 lead in a first inning that featured homers from Ian Kinsler and Mike Napoli and then withstood Oakland’s change. Josh Reddick homered twice for the A’s, and Derek Norris, Yoenis Cespedes and Brandon Moss homered once apiece.
For Moss, it was his 20th homer in 246 at-bats this season. He’s gotten increased playing time of late, so he won’t become the seventh player in big-league history to finish a season with 20 homers and fewer than 250 at-bats. However, he will be the 30th player to have done it in less than 300 at-bats.
With Moss joining Reddick and Cespedes, the A’s now have three 20-homer guys, matching their total from the previous four seasons combines. They went without a 20-homer guy in 2010, and they had just one player get there in 2008 (Jack Cust), 2009 (Cust) and 2011 (Josh Willingham).
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)