Sep 27, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
An update on Brandon McCarthy, who tells Susan Slusser that, compared to a lot of things, getting his skull fractured by a line drive was not particularly painful. Viva adrenaline I guess.
He also talks about pitching helmets, which we’ve discussed here before. He tells Slusser that he’d maybe try one, but that he doesn’t think such a thing should be forced on anyone:
I’m all in favor of innovation … and if in 50 years, every pitcher is wearing some sort of soft-shell helmet that looks different, that will be all right. But I don’t want it to be mandatory.”
Seems sensible given that, unlike say seat belts in cars and even batting helmets for hitters, protecting a pitcher’s head is not something that addresses a large-scale threat. It is undeniably dangerous to get smacked with a comebacker, but it’s not a common thing either.
Like we’ve noted before, however, even if it’s not mandated — and I don’t think it should be — it’s probably something that will happen eventually just because of technology improving and certain players just choosing to do it and having the habit just become more and more acceptable.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)