Catch of the year? Travis Snider robbed Mike Baxter

Sep 27, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

This is not one of those times, as Pirates right fielder Travis Snider reached a good three feet beyond the outfield wall to take a sure homer away from Mets right fielder Mike Baxter this afternoon:

Kevin Correia was certain it was a homer, as was the announcer.

1. Francisco (FC) - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I hope we can find a better video later, I’d like to see a close up!

2. natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM

WOW. Just, WOW.

3. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM

“Sometimes when an outfielder makes a great catch that’s described as “robbing a homer” it’s really more like robbing a double off the top of the wall.”

And soemtimes when it’s really more like making a routine ctach, because they are standing up against a 5 foot wall, just reach up and catch it!

But yea, that one was one for the ages. I’ll even save the snarky sarcasm

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:42 PM

But you’re keeping the deliberate misspellings so I’ll recognize you. ;)

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Me?? Never!!

4. Joe - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Travis Snider, always a threat with the glove.

5. stlouis1baseball - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Impressive catch! I am gonna’ search for another shot with a close up.
    Seems like he hung on the wall forever waiting to make the catch.

6. natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I’m watching Reds-Brewers and they showed the same video, so there may not be a better one. This is a good game, if you like “pitchers duels.” They haven’t said what Peralta’s injury is, though. He had to leave the game.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I love Pitchers Duels. But I have to “work” so I won’t be able to watch it.

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Axford took a blown save/loss. Gotta go to work myself now.

7. Jeremy T - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I think it looks even more impressive because he appeared to jump a little bit early, which forced him to hang on at the top of the wall for what felt like an eternity. Kind of a shame such an amazing catch had to come in a Pirates-Mets game.

• Jeremy T - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Wow, apparently people didn’t like this. I suppose, actually, that the fact that it was a Pirates-Mets game could be taken as a positive, since it provided the fans of those two teams at least a little bit of excitement in what’s been a pretty tough season.

8. El Bravo - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Better than Trout’s? Maybe. But shit is close. Both deserve mad props…I think he climbed the wall too much on this one…Trout just learns to fly.

• randomdigits - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:05 PM

The Trout catch against Baltimore gets my vote.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Gret catch but neither Snider or Trout could match the catch by Rajai Davis. Davis had to climb a 10 foot wall to catch a ball that was going over the fence.

9. jaysjunkie - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Phenomenal catch and I’m certainly pulling for Snider since the Jays traded him. His doesn’t top Rajai Davis’ earlier this season, though – Davis had a higher wall to climb.

• foreverchipper10 - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Davis’ catch seems like it shouldn’t be possible by human standards.

• El Bravo - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM

LINK!

• foreverchipper10 - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I enjoy Zelda too Bravo :)

• El Bravo - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Good thing you like good teams and good vidya games….or else!

10. cshearing - Sep 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Rajai Davis : the real catch of the year.

11. kevinbnyc - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I love EVERYBODY watching the replay on the scoreboard: Baxter walking back to the dugout, the pitcher, even Snider with a well deserved “Yes, I’m Awesome” look on his face.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline