Sep 27, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
And now there’s another reason to root for him, as Perkins shared some really interesting thoughts with Joe Posnanski while breaking down his recent save against the Yankees on a pitch-by-pitch basis.
Perkins talked about the mentality of the closer role, his warm-up routine, how he approaches each matchup, what went through his mind when he served up a homer to Andruw Jones that cut the lead in half, and what doesn’t go through his mind at all during the ninth inning (“I forgot Andruw Jones was on their team”).
It’s a really good read for a whole bunch of reasons, so check it out.
- Miguel Cabrera ties Hank Greenberg with 331st career homer 0
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 10
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 8
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 5
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles