Sep 27, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
And now there’s another reason to root for him, as Perkins shared some really interesting thoughts with Joe Posnanski while breaking down his recent save against the Yankees on a pitch-by-pitch basis.
Perkins talked about the mentality of the closer role, his warm-up routine, how he approaches each matchup, what went through his mind when he served up a homer to Andruw Jones that cut the lead in half, and what doesn’t go through his mind at all during the ninth inning (“I forgot Andruw Jones was on their team”).
It’s a really good read for a whole bunch of reasons, so check it out.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)