Sep 27, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
And now there’s another reason to root for him, as Perkins shared some really interesting thoughts with Joe Posnanski while breaking down his recent save against the Yankees on a pitch-by-pitch basis.
Perkins talked about the mentality of the closer role, his warm-up routine, how he approaches each matchup, what went through his mind when he served up a homer to Andruw Jones that cut the lead in half, and what doesn’t go through his mind at all during the ninth inning (“I forgot Andruw Jones was on their team”).
It’s a really good read for a whole bunch of reasons, so check it out.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)