Sep 27, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT
When it comes to what R.A. Dickey is going to do once his contract is up with the Mets, he says he views he and David Wright as something of a package deal for the Mets:
“If I don’t see them pursuing David hard,” Dickey said, “I think it would be a message to everybody that they’re content to spend the next five or six years rebuilding this organization. Rather than trying to be competitive, and trying to rebuild it at the same time.
“I think you can do both. I think (doing both is) what they want to do.
“But if you see them not really pursue him hard, that’s the message that I get. Unless they trade him and get multiple, big-league pieces back.”
Both Dickey and Wright have team options through 2013 and, clearly, the Mets are going to want to work on Wright first. The Mets have made every indication that they’re doing to try to lock up Wright. I think the bigger question for Dickey is whether he can come close to matching his 2012 season next year. Because if he, as many knuckleballers have in the past, starts to get a bit erratic out there, it would probably give a lot of team’s pause about signing him to a significant deal.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 82
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)