Sep 27, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT
When it comes to what R.A. Dickey is going to do once his contract is up with the Mets, he says he views he and David Wright as something of a package deal for the Mets:
“If I don’t see them pursuing David hard,” Dickey said, “I think it would be a message to everybody that they’re content to spend the next five or six years rebuilding this organization. Rather than trying to be competitive, and trying to rebuild it at the same time.
“I think you can do both. I think (doing both is) what they want to do.
“But if you see them not really pursue him hard, that’s the message that I get. Unless they trade him and get multiple, big-league pieces back.”
Both Dickey and Wright have team options through 2013 and, clearly, the Mets are going to want to work on Wright first. The Mets have made every indication that they’re doing to try to lock up Wright. I think the bigger question for Dickey is whether he can come close to matching his 2012 season next year. Because if he, as many knuckleballers have in the past, starts to get a bit erratic out there, it would probably give a lot of team’s pause about signing him to a significant deal.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)