Sep 27, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Jason Isringhausen has barely pitched for the Angels down the stretch and the 40-year-old reliever is leaning toward retirement, telling Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com that he’s currently 70 percent likely to call it a career after 16 seasons.
Isringhausen cited the desire to spend more time with his two young daughters, saying:
I like to be home, man. When I’m not pitching, that makes me miss them more. I want to be home and my role on the team is not definitive anymore, and I don’t like that part. I want to have more fun, more pitching. But if I had pitched better down the stretch, I’d probably be pitching more now. Not too many teams need a 40-year-old who’s throwing 90 when they have kids throwing 96.
Considering all the arm problems he had to deal with Isringhausen has put together a helluva career, going from failed starter prospect to reclamation project to All-Star closer while saving 300 games. This season he has a 4.14 ERA and 31/19 K/BB ratio in 46 innings for the Angels.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)