Sep 27, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Jason Isringhausen has barely pitched for the Angels down the stretch and the 40-year-old reliever is leaning toward retirement, telling Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com that he’s currently 70 percent likely to call it a career after 16 seasons.
Isringhausen cited the desire to spend more time with his two young daughters, saying:
I like to be home, man. When I’m not pitching, that makes me miss them more. I want to be home and my role on the team is not definitive anymore, and I don’t like that part. I want to have more fun, more pitching. But if I had pitched better down the stretch, I’d probably be pitching more now. Not too many teams need a 40-year-old who’s throwing 90 when they have kids throwing 96.
Considering all the arm problems he had to deal with Isringhausen has put together a helluva career, going from failed starter prospect to reclamation project to All-Star closer while saving 300 games. This season he has a 4.14 ERA and 31/19 K/BB ratio in 46 innings for the Angels.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 60
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)