Jayson Werth acts very Jayson Werthy in Philly

Sep 27, 2012, 9:13 AM EST

Jayson Werth Getty Images

Jayson Werth is a bit of an odd duck. He’s not a cliche guy. Indeed, he’s something of a curious speaker for a ballplayer. Hard to explain it exactly, but when you hear interviews with him you can sort of tell that he’s on a different mental track than a lot of baseball players. He’s often frank, but even when he’s not being frank he’s got a curious way of expressing himself. And there’s an emotional aspect to it too. Just different, ya know?

One of the other things about him is that he has, several times in the past, acknowledged fans and their behavior in ways most players don’t. Like, he’ll get into it and you can tell he pays way more attention to fan behavior than the vast majority of players who tune it out for the most part.

All of which just makes this story from last night’s Phillies-Nats game exceedingly Jayson Werthy. Late in the game, Werth was on the on deck circle when a ball came his way. He fake-tossed it to some kids in the crowd but then threw it into the dugout. Boos, predictably, rained down.  But Werth says it wasn’t like that. From John Finger at CSNPhilly:

“Earlier in the game I flipped a ball into the seats to a fan and it flipped off her hand and landed on someone else’s lap. Then a guy reached over — a Phillies fan — and grabbed the ball off her lap and threw it back onto the field,” Werth explained. “In the ninth I was going to flip the ball to a group of kids and behind them was all these unruly, middle-aged men who to me appeared to be snarling. It’s the ninth, so who knows. I got the sense that maybe they were intoxicated. I was going to flip it to the kids and then thought maybe not because of the group behind the little innocent children there, remembering what happened earlier in right field.”

Well, whatever, but “these unruly, middle-aged men who to me appeared to be snarling,” is the sort of phrase you’d expect to hear from some society man with a thin mustache as he tried to throw suspicion off of him while he’s being interviewed by detectives for an unexplained murder.

Turns out later, though, that the guy did kill the victim, outside of the opera house, while trying to make it look like random street crime.  An inheritance was involved, I figure. Not sure yet. Haven’t worked out all of the details yet. He obligingly tells the whole story to the cops with drama and exposition before the credits roll.

126 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. phillysoulfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I’ve always been a Jayson Werth fan ever since he hit a BP HR that landed in my lap. Never had to move. Got to cross that off the bucket list. THANKS JAYSON!!!

Anyway, I’ve always been able to defend him because, let’s be honest, some Philadelphia fans (note Philadelphia not Phillies BIG difference) are douchebags. But this, I can’t believe he did that. I want to believe there was some truth to what he was saying however him laughing while saying it, I can’t buy it. Shame on you Jayson.

2. phillyphannn83 - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I love how the second pitch came mere inches from his chin. I’d call it a miss because he deserved one in the kisser for faking out those kids. Completely classless. I know its completely classless to say the guy should have been hit in the face with a pitch but I believe you reap what you sow. A classless act should be dealt with by a classless act. What hysterically ridiculous comments by Werth to try to blame other fans for him not giving those kids the ball. And kudos to the guy who threw the other one back. But Werth showed a little intelligence here. He knows that those 10-12 yr olds he was aiming for would have done the same thing and that ball would have made its way back from whence it came; and rightfully so.

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Good old an eye for an eye justice. End someone’s career because they faked throwing a ball to a kid. Philly fans are the best. What an idiot!

• Utley's Hair - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Nobody deserves to be hit by a pitch anywhere for any reason, but especially in that area, and for that moronic a reason. Should he have been booed? Sure. Should he be ripped in the media? Meh…maybe not, since it feeds into his desire for publicity.

Kudos to the guy who (supposedly) grabbed a ball from a woman’s lap and threw it back on the field? Hell no. Grab your own crotch and leave other people’s property and person alone, you cretin. The guy should’ve been thrown out of the Bank, and the (supposedly) accosted woman should have the opportunity to press charges.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM

***And by “you cretin,” I was referring to the guy in the stands, not you.***

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Somebody needs to look up sarcasm in the dictionary.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM

That wasn’t sarcasm. That was you making an idiotic case for being nailed above the neck by a 90+mph rock. All because you don’t like him, and you base it on uncorroborated quotes by the guy himself.

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Uncorroborated quotes? I watched the clip of the post-game interview where he made those comments. No surprise tough, you just loooovvvee to protect other people. Keep making assumptions, they make you sound so intelligent. And saying the woman should be able to press charges for that?? Are you kidding?? Yeah thats surely what the law was written for, a guy grabbing a baseball from a womans lap and theowing it on the field. Im pretty sure if you go talk to a REAL groping victim, she’d be pretty offended you just equated her being truely accosted with this non-sense. And destroying a man’s life for that?? Yeah punishment really fits the crime here right? Clearly you didnt go to law school because you have no idea what constitutes a crime.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Yeah, there’s no difference between degrees of crime, moron. Besides, where did I say that it should be charges for anything like that? He reached into her lap and took a ball that was not his. Dumba$$.

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Lets see, i believe your quote was “Grab your own crotch” so you tell me what exactly youre insinuating the charges be? After reading that, anybody with the slightest bit of intelligence would naturally assume youre claiming the charges be for, oh i dont know, grabbing someomes crotch. Nice try though, trying to spin it like you meant he should be charged with theft. Next time leave out the “Grab your own crotch” part and maybe your arguement will be legitimate.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Okay, how about “Don’t effing touch me and leave my sh!t alone?” And there are different and varying degrees of assault, moron. They’re not all the same.

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM

And who’s to say the woman wasnt his girlfriend, wife, sister, or friend?? Stop making assumptions!

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Where did I say that she has to press charges? Werth said it happened, but nowhere else do you see any reference to it, so it isn’t even a sure thing that it actually happened.

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM

“The guy should’ve been thrown out of the Bank, and the (supposedly) accosted woman should have the opportunity to press charges.”

Thats YOUR quote there bud. No one else said anything about pressing charges but YOU! Youre back-tracking is humorous. You should be a politican.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I am not backtracking, dumbass. He should’ve been thrown out of the Bank FOR THROWING SOMETHING ON THE DAMN FIELD, moron!!!! Read the back of your ticket. And yes, she should have the opportunity to press charges. Where did I say she has to? No victim of any crime HAS to press charges. But, again, there is just Werth’s say-so that it actually happened.

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I cant believe I’m actually going to respond to this. I think YOU need to read the ticket, it says throwing “objects” on the field. Baseballs that came off the field are not considered part of that. What kind of idiot fan are you? People throw baseballs back all the time. Have you not ever been at a stadium when the opposing team hit a homerun? Never heard a throw it back chant? This is one of the dumbest things anyone has ever said in reference to sports. You have officially revealed to us all that you, in fact, have no credibility in the sports world.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 13, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Dude, you are a complete idiot. You are as dense as an effing fruitcake, and as obtuse as a 179 degree angle. I’m done here. Good riddance.

• imauggiedoggie - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM

…WTF?! okay, you ‘repented’ for your classless proclamation about throwing at werth’s kisser but come on ~ it’s baseball a GAME for goodness sake! how many times do you see a hometown fan toss a ball back onto the field after an opposing team HR? i agree that ‘kids’ deserve to see better from those they look up to, but i doubt jayson is a FAV among phillies fans these days ~ and the kids were probably coached by their ‘clueless, classless’ philly-fan-(id)iotic parents to BOO the guy’s on the nats team anyway…look, you guys in the city of brotherly-love had your glory days and now it’s time to get behind the national league team that best represents the national league in the post season!

i suspect next for you folks is a really, really close look at your football team, michael (S)ick, et al and change allegiance to the redskins!

kind regards.. .. ..tonight tune in for another LOSS!

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I was listening to Baseball Today, and you are EXACTLY correct. Karabell went the game with his kid, kid says why are they booing. Karabell says, “Never mind, just boo.” And I LIKE Karabell!

3. Utley's Hair - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Jayson Werth is merely playing into his newfound reputation as a putz. He’s using this incident to get precisely what Craig and the commenters on here are giving him: publicity.

JW, thanks for your contribution to 2008, but you were way overpaid, and you know there was no way the Phils would pay you what the Gnats did. Good for you on getting your big windfall, and I don’t blame you one bit. I booed the first time I saw you bat back here, but I have moved on. So should you. If you don’t, you have more serious problems.

By the way, how will you be able to prevent a parade down Broad Street “ever again,” huh?

4. mrdry14 - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Morse gave out some balls to the kids. He saw what a jerk Jason was, and covered for him. Props to Morse. Jason…….same old wierd guy.

• imauggiedoggie - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM

…see, the nats got CLASS too ~ it was werth who paid for the baseballs!

5. dandifesto - Sep 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I’ll always remember Jayason Werth on the Phillies coming over for a foul ball at Citizen’s bank and a Phillies fan catching it in the stands in front of his young son. Jayson Werth had a chance at the ball and proceeded to yell at the man in front of his son “Get out of my F’in way!” etc etc. What a tool.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester