Jayson Werth acts very Jayson Werthy in Philly

Sep 27, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

Jayson Werth Getty Images

Jayson Werth is a bit of an odd duck. He’s not a cliche guy. Indeed, he’s something of a curious speaker for a ballplayer. Hard to explain it exactly, but when you hear interviews with him you can sort of tell that he’s on a different mental track than a lot of baseball players. He’s often frank, but even when he’s not being frank he’s got a curious way of expressing himself. And there’s an emotional aspect to it too. Just different, ya know?

One of the other things about him is that he has, several times in the past, acknowledged fans and their behavior in ways most players don’t. Like, he’ll get into it and you can tell he pays way more attention to fan behavior than the vast majority of players who tune it out for the most part.

All of which just makes this story from last night’s Phillies-Nats game exceedingly Jayson Werthy. Late in the game, Werth was on the on deck circle when a ball came his way. He fake-tossed it to some kids in the crowd but then threw it into the dugout. Boos, predictably, rained down.  But Werth says it wasn’t like that. From John Finger at CSNPhilly:

“Earlier in the game I flipped a ball into the seats to a fan and it flipped off her hand and landed on someone else’s lap. Then a guy reached over — a Phillies fan — and grabbed the ball off her lap and threw it back onto the field,” Werth explained. “In the ninth I was going to flip the ball to a group of kids and behind them was all these unruly, middle-aged men who to me appeared to be snarling. It’s the ninth, so who knows. I got the sense that maybe they were intoxicated. I was going to flip it to the kids and then thought maybe not because of the group behind the little innocent children there, remembering what happened earlier in right field.”

Well, whatever, but “these unruly, middle-aged men who to me appeared to be snarling,” is the sort of phrase you’d expect to hear from some society man with a thin mustache as he tried to throw suspicion off of him while he’s being interviewed by detectives for an unexplained murder.

Turns out later, though, that the guy did kill the victim, outside of the opera house, while trying to make it look like random street crime.  An inheritance was involved, I figure. Not sure yet. Haven’t worked out all of the details yet. He obligingly tells the whole story to the cops with drama and exposition before the credits roll.

126 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. kevinleaptrot - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Okey Dokey, I’m a little confused here. Jayson Werth killed someone last night in Philadelphia? I’m mean other than the Phillies’ playoff hopes?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:18 AM

That would be funny if the Phillies playoff hopes weren’t killed long ago. Try again with your “funny” snark.

• nategearhart - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM

How about this?
        “Phillies fans booed when Werth merely fake-tossed a ball to some kids. ‘Ya gotta PUKE on ‘em if you wanna ruin their night, dipshit!'”

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Real clever. Have a Georgetown grad here I see.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Then why would he fake toss the kids. His story makes no sense. The fans were not thrilled by his shenanigans.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Exactly, I was watching, that excuse he gave is not at all what happened

• mgdsquiggy17 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I enjoyed the fake toss. made me think it was Monday Night Raw for a minute.

• paperlions - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM

It wasn’t a “fake toss”, it was an aborted toss. His intent wasn’t to fake it, he just held the ball when he saw the snarling middle-aged guys so as to avoid a possible assault on the youngsters in a scrum for the ball.

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Yes we were.

3. stlouis1baseball - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with Craig.
    Jayson Werth is one strange cat. He’s always been a strange cat. He will always be a strange cat.
    He’s just a strange cat.
    Jayson Werth = Strange Cat

• chadjones27 - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I’m a little confused. Is Jayson Werth a strange cat?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM

You nailed it Chad. Jayson Werth is one strange cat.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Jayson Werth has a strange cat attached to his face.

4. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Ah, and lets not forget this F bombs (yes, plural) he delivered to a father protecting his son from getting bonked. And lest you think this was just heat of the moment, the inning ended on the very next pitch, and the Phillies won in the bottom of the inning – and the next day Werth STILL refused to apologize!

Hey Jason, go ask Dick Cheney what you can do to yourself!

Signed,

Fan who used to Love You

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM

To: Fan who can’t spell his name.

From: Fan who can.

At the time, Filly fans booed the fan, not Werth. (Of course they didn’t know what Werth said.). What makes you think it wasn’t a tense moment? The game was tied with two outs at the top of the 12th inning when the Cincinnati Reds popped a foul ball into the right field stands. And yes, he did apologize, but it was not accepted. Fifteen minutes of fame, anyone?

So he was playing hard and a ten year old kid was “devasted” by hearing the f-word? Give me a break.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM

You are so god damn condescending. Seriously, what the fuck is your deal? Every post I read from you is filled with pseudo snark, condescending bullshit.

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM

My deal is I like to put up posts that don’t contain obsenities, particularly in discussion a situation criticising a player for using them.

Yes, Nats fans booed Werth because of his huge contract when he didn’t perform up to it in 2011. So sue us. Of course, Filly fans came to watch the game. But they specifically sat in RF so they could boo Werth. It was in the paper at the time, complete with quotes from bus-rider types.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Sorry, you lost the point as soon as you used the spell check argument

• paperlions - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM

You know….I don’t miss Philly phans on here at all. I kind of hope the Phillies keep sucking just to keep them at bay.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Hey there, paperlions!!!!!

• ocho - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM

You know I have seen you post this same thing on another Werth related post…im guessing you were the father in the video…time to move on with your life pal (SN: if youre not the father from the video you REALLY need to move on with your life)

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:55 AM

If you can remember what other commenters post at previous points in time regarding Jayson Werth, you REALLY need to move on with your life…..pal.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Wow, you follow my posts? You must have no ……nah, too easy!

• donniebb23 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Wow. If that play causes you to stop “loving” a favorite player of yours then you weren’t much of a fan in the first place.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM

A) never said he was my “favorite”
        B) never said that was “the” defining moment
        C) My fan credentials are very much in tact, thank you

• nolanwiffle - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Mike Schmidt didn’t play hard enough or care enough to a level that pleased Philly fans………and he was booed by the hometown fans.

Jayson Werth played hard and cared about winning (and on one occasion was a tad insensitive to a young fan)…..and got booed by the hometown fans.

Tough place to play or asshole fans? You be the judge.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Jayson never got booed as a Phillie, not even after that play. In fact, he never got anything that any opposing player doesn’t get ANYWHERE before last night

• paperlions - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Give me a break. There isn’t a single player that played an entire season in Philly that hasn’t been booed by Philly fans. It’s a rite of passage.

• nolanwiffle - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Concrete Charlie?

5. manute - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM

The second-to-last paragraph should win some sort of award.

6. natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:36 AM

So what happened to those innocent little children then?

“You know I looked in when I was on first base and Mikey (Morse) was feeding what seemed like the whole bag of balls. So I think he made up for it for me.”

And yes, a mob of Filly fans, in May, took buses down and sat in the RF seats so they could boo Jayson. And they did, they booed him when he broke his wrist and he was nauseous with pain. Later he wrote a letter saying he was going to make sure they didn’t have a parade down Broad Street (or whatever the street is). So far–um, so good.

BTW, Jayson has kids of his own. He lives locally and (not too speak out of school too much), he is univerally liked and admired around here.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Season series…Phillies 8, Nats 6. Yep, Jayson Werth and the Nationals are the reason the Phillies won’t be “having a parade down Broad St.” Give me a break with this nonsense narrative. Furthermore, how is Jayson Werth having children relevant to this conversation? He fake tossed some kids and came up with a bullshit story about it. That is what happened. End of.

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Speaking of having children, I sure hope you don’t. Your gene pool needs to evaporate ASAP!

• xmatt0926x - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM

So who was that booing him as he struggled mightily the first year in Washington? And a mob of Philly fans took buses down just to boo Werth? Are you serious? Not to watch the game? Not to root for their team? Just to boo Werth? so all the other Philly games in Washington that were mobbed by Philly fans were to see the game but in this instance in May the fans went just to boo Werth? Did they tell you that because you’re such a Nats “insider”? And a different player giving the kids balls doesn’t in turn excuse Werth’s ignorant act. Maybe what Morse saw as Werth being a total jerk made him feel compelled to give the kids those balls? If Morse really felt the fans were being rude or disrespectful to Werth, would he have gone out of his way to throw balls into the stands himself?

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Win the division, and you still can’t take your eyes of the Phillies. Where is you Natitude, young lady?

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Oh, sorry, delaware. Lost track! Carry on.

BTW, I was at that game. It was the same one where Hamels hit Harper and Harper stole home. I don’t sit on the RF side, so can’t personally testify to the fans’ behavior, but we were crushed when Werth broke his wrist. We had a lot of injuries this spring, and just when it seemed like things were getting back on track, we lost Werth. You may not like him, and the continued booing puzzles me (I mean, a game or two, OK, but the next season?)–but we like him. It took a while, but we do.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM

For the record, I skirmed big time when he landed on his wrist, and could not watch the replays. Go interview 100 Phillies Fans – 98 will say the same thing. Go interview 100 Cardinals Fans about Ryan Howards Achilies injury in the NLDS last year, and 98 will say what I said about Werth. And there you go.

I was at the game in ’99 when a fan threw the battery at JD Drew. Never even knew it happened until the next day – and believe me, people were talking the entire time about nothign but Drew (in other words, hardly anyone saw it). And yet to hear it re-told by TLR, Craig Calcataerra, and….well…..everyone, every one of us in attendance lobbed that battery, then we all bought a beer for the guy who brought the battery. It is is just insane how people reduce 10’s of thousands of people down to the behavior of 1 or 2

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:09 PM

That was meant to show up lower, after the OP remark. Oh, well.

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Here’s the problem. Some people will listen to this jerk. (We have jerks like that here, too, don’t get me wrong. I posted last week on the death threats a football player was getting because of a dumb play that cost a game).

This dope radiohead Angelo Cataldi in Philly said the stadium won’t be patting down fans entering the stadium for batteries as they will be handing out batteries.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM

True, no one should incite violence, jokingly or not.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM

“and he was nauseous with pain”

P.S. Spell checklady, the correct term is “nauseated with pain”. Your sentence would mean he was causing others to feel nausea…..well, maybe that is what you meant!

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Let’s start with the fact that I was using Werth’s own words.

“After walking off the field feeling nauseous knowing my wrist was broke and hearing Philly fans yelling ‘You deserve it,’ and, ‘That’s what u get,’ I am motivated to get back quickly and see to it personally those people never walk down Broad Street in celebration again.”

Further–
        While the use of nauseous to mean “affected with nausea” may incur critical displeasure, it should be pointed out in its defense not only that it is quite common among educated speakers but that it is subtly distinct from nauseated in this sense. Nauseated is a passive participle, and hence suggests a condition induced by a specific external cause. By contrast, nauseous is an adjective that refers to an occurrent state whose cause may be nonspecific or unknown. The person to reports that I woke up this morning feeling nauseous might not be willing to accept that he or she had been nauseated by any external agent.

In this case, however, Werth was able to identify the causes of his nausea.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Nope, nope, too late to cite Werth as your source.

And don’t tie yourself up in knots contorting an explanation for your mistake – it makes you nauseous

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Don’t think spell check would have caught that mistake. But you probably didn’t learn that before dropping out of community college.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Yea…..that doesn’t even make sense what you just said, about spell checks. I wasn’t saying it was spelling error…..

Take a deep breath, go back and re-read how the whole tet a tet got started, then think through a better comeback. If you are still stuck, let me know, I have a few suggestions

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM

You can think what you want. I remembered Jayson’s words, including how he used “nauseous” and “broke” rather than “broken.” It stuck in my mind. He later backed down somewhat on his comments.

I did google the other thing, though. :)

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

“I did google the other thing” – yea, was kinda obvious ;)

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Yeah, but while we’re at it, I think you meant to type tête-à-tête. And while we’re at that, I don’t think you meant tête-à-tête, because–

n.
        A private conversation between two persons.
        A sofa for two, especially an S-shaped one allowing the occupants to face each other.
        [French : tête, head + à, to + tête, head.]

I don’t think posting on the internetz in a forum like this is “private”.

Or maybe you meant tet as in Tet Offensive? I’m actually old enough to remember that without googling.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM

meaning you are old enough to remember the actual offensive, or old enough to….ahhh, never mind.

If you haven’t noticed intentional typos, then you haven’t been paying attention.

Now lets welcome our next contestant on “You’ve Been Trolled”

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM

So your argument is now that the OP misspelled Werth’s name intentionally? Typical Filly….

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Uhhhhh….I am the OP, you don’t have to address me in the 3rd person when talkign to me.

tet a tet (and other thigns) were intentionally misspelled

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM

delawarephilliesfan: Not sure what the other choice on remembering the Tet Offensive was. Not sure I want to know…. But, yes, I am a lady well past a “certain age” and some of my classmates served (and died) in Vietnam.

This trolling thing, this is fun! (And yes, I do follow–or at least notice and read–your posts. I’ve only been on this site for a few months, but it doesn’t take long to sort the wheat from the chaff, as they say. For a Filly fan, yours aren’t bad. IMHO.)

7. greymares - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM

from an unruly old man good luck in the playoffs and i hope every hair on your arse turns to copper wire.

8. xmatt0926x - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I read those quotes from Werth last night but the writer implied that he may not have been sincere as he was saying it. He implied that Werth had a dry, sarcastic tone. The bottom line,as other Phillies fans have noted, this guy has pulled this crap before, even when with the Phillies. Just listen to his interviews. He’s a stone head. There’s nothing there. I get it, believe me. He wants to shove it in Philly’s face as I’m sure any athlete who was not signed by that team would. I don’t blame him(although you can’t blame the Phils for not matching that awful contract). The problem is that this has nothing to do with giving the phillies organization or heckling fans the middle finger. This is about a miserable prick who just doesn’t respect fans in general.

9. voteforno6 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I got a chuckle last year when he called himself the last member of the Bull Moose Party, after his second unsuccessful attempt to throw the President’s race to Teddy. Yeah, fake-tossing the ball was a slightly dickish thing to to, even taking into account the Phillies fans who cheered when he broke his wrist earlier this year. However, you aren’t going to find many Nats fans who didn’t get a kick out of what he did last night, after what we’ve had to go through over the years whenever the Phillies were in town.

10. greymares - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM

by the way Craig would this story be written like this if the same scenario happened in Atlanta?

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Why wouldn’t it be? I may have declared my Braves fandom a long time ago and reiterate it often, but I defy you to find a single instance where I’ve written blinkered stuff about the Braves because I’m a fan.

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I don’t see anything wrong with the way Craig put up the storey. Jayson is not your cliche guy, that’s a FACT. He got rid of Nyjer Morgan, and we all figure he played with Riggleman’s head until it exploded. He recently said that when he got here the place was “a mess.”

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I have to agree with the cue ball here, this is the story that is in his wheel house ragardless of who it happened with. If you note, he really isn’t taking sides in the dispute, more noting the bizarness of it

11. skeleteeth - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Oh no, a kid didn’t get a ball handed to them one time. What a travesty.

12. makeham98 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Werth:s not being resigned bu the Phillies.has worked out netter than his wildest hallucinations, and not due to his own part-time contributions. He should be thankful that he lucked into a great spot and shut up already.

13. yahmule - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Young Philly fans eventually become full grown Philly fans, so I have no problem with anybody dogging them. Any word on whether Jayson shouted, “Psyche!”, after the fake toss? I will award bonus points if this can be confirmed.

14. bluesoxbaseball - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Werth threw my dog a foul ball a couple years back at GABP in Cincy for Bark in the Park night.

15. Francisco (FC) - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Jayson is generally well meaning. Thing is, he wears his emotions on his sleeve, so he’ll often do crazy stuff.

16. yahmule - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM

The most hilarious thing about Philly fans (in all sports) is the way they take enormous pride in being giant assholes, yet somehow get all butthurt when anybody else points it out.

Bill Burr explains in detail. NSFW. Best part starts @ 4:03.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Yeah bro…We are all “butt hurt” down here. Let’s go down some 40’s and find some sorority skanks….. for fucks sake. how old are you? Who uses the term “butt hurt” except frat boy wanna be’s?

• yahmule - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Your viewpoints are worthless even by the thin standards of Philly fans.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Thanks. I will cry myself to sleep knowing what yahmule thinks of me.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM

No one’s proud of the assholes. Assholes are proud of themselves. Everyone else is embarrassed and they stick up for themselves when they are included in ignorant generalizations. I don’t generalize all Oakland and San Fran fans as being murderous gang members. I’ve never thrown anything at a player or fan of an opposing team, and I take pride in the Philly area producing Joe Frazier, Matt Schaub, and Matt Ryan more than Rocky. And I don’t come on a website to tell everyone I hate an entire fan base and bash them for any and everything because somehow that makes me better than them.

• yahmule - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

No, you take pride in girls getting burrelled. No wonder you feel qualified to lecture people on proper internet behavior.

17. kevinleaptrot - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:59 AM

drmonkeyarmy needs an enema this morning.

• b7p19 - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM

He must have gotten pulled over on his way to work this morning or something. Such anger because Jayson Werth didn’t throw a kid a ball…

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM

That and the fact that he has to hang off of the back of a trash truck all day long to earn a living.

18. steve7921 - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I think that this was a post just to please the Phillies fans… there have been too many Heath Bell, Bobby V, stories and nothing about the Phillies and Craug sensed a potential revolution!

19. goskinsvt - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Philly fans basically gave a standing ovation when Jayson Werth broke his wrist and now they complain when he trolls them in return? Philly fans are so easy to hate and apparently really easy to troll.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM

And then we basically replaced Dollar-Dog night with Jayson Werth Broken Wrist night. And then we basically made it a state holiday.

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM

So basically did you basically think this post up on, you know, basically your own, or basically did you fellow Philadelphia Mensa Club members basically help you out with it?

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Well, if Ed Rendell were still in office, yep, you’d have the day off. Basically.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:39 AM

“Philly fans basically gave a standing ovation when Jayson Werth broke his wrist ”

Yes, but don’t forget that Mike Rizzo promised to personally beat up every Phillie fan one by one. So it all evened out

20. wethog66 - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I was watching last night when Werth did this and I had a laugh. The turd rep Philly Fans have is well earned so anytime a player gets them back I enjoy a lot. Sure you can say he showed up a bunch of kids, but after what Jeffrey Maire did to the O’s back in ’96, kids get no love for me at baseball games.

Last night was even more enjoyable when Werth got a 2 run single to put the game out of reach and zipped the lips of the turd Philly Fans, kids and adults, in attendence.

• greymares - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM

you mean the pitch he was bailing on like a 7 yr old little leaguer and was lucky enough for it to hit the end of his bat. enjoy his talents at WOW 126 mil.

• pdowdy83 - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, he was bailing on an outside pitch that he took back up the middle…makes sense…

• wethog66 - Sep 30, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Hey it could be worse, he could be paid all that money and have a bum achilles.

Broken wrist aside, I think Werth earned his contract this year.

21. kiwicricket - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Sitting in front of his computer, Miller Lite in one hand, slightly frothing at the mouth……but unable to contribute.
    Poor Bicepts.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM

You can find him on Twitter, and he has plenty to say…..most of which would get him banned from here. Again.

• cur68 - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is the REAL tragedy here.

22. natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM

oooo, oooo, politician now speaking on the matter. I love this reporter’s name, Spike Eskin. Made my day.

Congrats to Bo Porter, also. The Astros are making it official this morning. He’s been great for us.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Wow, I think you spend more time lookign at Phillies info then Phillies fans!

You act like you have never had a winning team before! Oh right…..

• wethog66 - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Winning team? How bout them Eagles?

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Well, I actually hate the Eagles…..but that is a bizarre retort none the less. They have a winning record at the moment, and certainly have had a ton of them recently.

Sheesh, you have me defending the Eagles! Maybe that was your point….

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Oh look, the fan of the only MLB franchise to LOSE >10,000 games is making snarky remarks about having a winning team. How ironic.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Yes, isn’t it terrible how the Phillies played before either of our parents were even alive?

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I had to steal this from another Nats fan, but it was too good to resist.

DL in VA said…
        Former Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell wasn’t buying Werth’s excuse, and provided his own thoughts on the former Phillies right fielder. “Well, it’s a seven letter word Angelo [Cataldi], and the first letter is “A” and the last letter is “E”!,” Rendell told 94WIP’s Angelo Cataldi and The WIP Morning Show on Thursday.

ACADEME? ACETATE? ACOLYTE? ADOPTEE? ADULATE? ADVISEE? AFFABLE?AMBROSE? AMOEBAE? ANEMONE? ANTIQUE? APOSTLE? ARACHNE? ARCHIVE?ARCSINE? ARMOIRE? ARTICLE? ARTLIKE? ATTACHE?

I don’t get it. What do you mean, Mr. Governor? OH!!

ATHLETE.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Anything politics related, Ed Rendell is a horses patooey. Anything sports related, he is always golden. Once again, he has the other towns tongue’s wagging (see 1993 Blue Jays World Series parade)

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM

The Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs, Giants, Dodgers, Tigers, Indians, Athletics, Braves, Cards and Pirates all played long before our parents (or even our grandparents) were alive. Only the Phillies have lost more than 10,000 games. Philadelphia, Loserville USA!

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Fascinating….I heard the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire was a big Phillies fan, that has to count for something though, right?

• Utley's Hair - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Ya know, there are a few teams on that list of yours that have had more than one home. The Phightins have been here all along. That kinda points to loyalty during lean times, does it not? Phils Phans are loyal, sometimes to a fault, but they are loyal.

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Much as I love my Nats, I don’t think pointing to 10K losses for the Fillies is the best argument…

There was a move (“Damn Yankees”) about the sad-sack Washington Senators–First in War, First in Peace, and last in the American League. I sincerely hope we are winning without the devil’s help… and not too much help from PEDs, either.

23. Brian Donohue - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Maybe he’s just being, you know, thoughtful about this class of action after the incident last year (Hamilton in TX) where it led to a death? Fact is that people do foolish things in crowds, whether they’re drunk or not, foam-at-the-mouth types or not. This has been researched and written about in psych and poli-sci journals, it’s not mere opinion. So Werth might deserve a little credit for bringing some awareness to what most players treat as a throw-out-the-trash moment.

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Good point. I’m sometimes asked why they don’t shoot tee shirts into the stands any more. They stopped the day after the Texas death. (The still throw them, mostly to fans on the first level, but occasionally the come up to the upper levels and gently toss them.) Fan-type people forget that–too quickly–but the players don’t.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Jayson Werth is not that cerebral.

24. runteddyrun - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM

boo hoo – these phillies fans are the same fans that applauded in DC when he broke his wrist. I don’t blame him.

25. thebadguyswon - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM

That was a great post, Craig.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3412)