Jeff Kent on “Survivor” recap: Clutch puzzle solving

Sep 27, 2012, 10:15 AM EST

Survivor Smacked Me In The Chops

Jeff Kent was featured prominently in the season premiere of “Survivor” last week, but he was mostly an afterthought in the second episode last night. And yet because I wasted an hour of my life watching the show I’m going to do a Kent-centric recap now:

• The producers are clearly trying to make him a major character, as Kent and former “Facts of Life” actress Lisa Whelchel were the first two contestants mentioned in the whole “last week on …” recap.

• Kent was shown early on having a rough time with the island’s constant rainy weather because his knee, which he injured in the episode, continues to give him problems.

• His first words this week were an attempt to link the show and baseball: “I played baseball for 17 years. ‘Survivor’ is going to be a long season for me. If you don’t have anything left in the tank in October you aren’t going to be a champion. I’m making sure I’m taking care of my knee and making sure I have enough energy to help our team win.”

• Fun fact, considering that quote: Kent never actually won a champion during his MLB career.

• Kent does not know how to make a fire, so he fits in perfectly with seemingly everyone else on the show. How nearly everyone finds out they’re going to be on “Survivor” and doesn’t bother a), doing some cardio, and b) learning how to make a fire is beyond me.

• Despite the knee injury Kent volunteers to do extra work pulling a heavy sled during the immunity challenge, which makes sense even with the injury since he’s a former professional athlete and the other people are mostly just very good at being annoying.

• After doing a solid job pulling the sled Kent then goes to work trying to put together a large puzzle. He nimbly hops up onto the table where the puzzle is, suggesting last week’s fears about a torn MCL were overblown.

• His team falls behind in the puzzle making, but Kent fits the final pieces together by diving onto the table to flatten it into place to win second place and the reward of a tarp. He celebrates by lying on his back with legs and arms in the air while appearing to have some sort of brace or wrap on his knee, which means he either brought that or someone on the show gave it to him. Hmm.

• Kent and his tribe avoided tribal council for another week, which in turns means I have to watch this show for at least one more episode.

1. tellyspop - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM

C’mon, how hard is it to make a fire? You were not a boy scout I take it? It’s easy, you buy a bag of Insta-lite charcoal, make a nice little stack, throw a lit match on the charcoal and “boom goes the dyno-mite” you have a fire.

2. kiwicricket - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Is it THAT hard to have a pic of Kent and a woman off the show, for the main pic? Or even the linked pic??
    I simply can’t have a shirtless Jeff Kent on my computer screen. Dam it, Gleeman.

3. yankeesgameday - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM

this recap you just gave is the most survivor I have ever watched, and technically a written recap isn’t watching, so I’m still good.

• greymares - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM

actually there’s more competition on 1 survivor episode than 1/2 the teams playing baseball all season

4. greymares - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Gleeman shouldn’t you be writing those feel good storys about the Braves so Craig can continue his Philly bashing.

5. lunatic96 - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM

When you say Jeff Kent can’t make a fire, you actually mean Jeff Kent can’t make a fire during a downpour using soaking wet kindling so it’s not quite the horrific failure you’re attempting to make it.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6023)