Sep 27, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
In August, Indians GM Chris Antonetti said that Manny Acta would be back as manager for 2013. August was a loooong time ago, apparently, because the team just announced that he will not be back for 2013. Sandy Alomar Jr. will replace Acta for the final few games of the season.
The Indians totally cratered in the second half. They went 5-24 in August and are 10-14 in September. Maybe no manager could have saved this team, but when you skid out of control like that, someone is likely to be held accountable.
As for the future: Alomar was a popular candidate when Acta was hired, has been mentioned as a managerial candidate elsewhere and is much-loved in Cleveland. This may be a short audition in the run up to being made the permanent skipper.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 36
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (214)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)