Sep 27, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
In August, Indians GM Chris Antonetti said that Manny Acta would be back as manager for 2013. August was a loooong time ago, apparently, because the team just announced that he will not be back for 2013. Sandy Alomar Jr. will replace Acta for the final few games of the season.
The Indians totally cratered in the second half. They went 5-24 in August and are 10-14 in September. Maybe no manager could have saved this team, but when you skid out of control like that, someone is likely to be held accountable.
As for the future: Alomar was a popular candidate when Acta was hired, has been mentioned as a managerial candidate elsewhere and is much-loved in Cleveland. This may be a short audition in the run up to being made the permanent skipper.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 36
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 41
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants