Sep 27, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
In August, Indians GM Chris Antonetti said that Manny Acta would be back as manager for 2013. August was a loooong time ago, apparently, because the team just announced that he will not be back for 2013. Sandy Alomar Jr. will replace Acta for the final few games of the season.
The Indians totally cratered in the second half. They went 5-24 in August and are 10-14 in September. Maybe no manager could have saved this team, but when you skid out of control like that, someone is likely to be held accountable.
As for the future: Alomar was a popular candidate when Acta was hired, has been mentioned as a managerial candidate elsewhere and is much-loved in Cleveland. This may be a short audition in the run up to being made the permanent skipper.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 23
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)