Sep 27, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
In August, Indians GM Chris Antonetti said that Manny Acta would be back as manager for 2013. August was a loooong time ago, apparently, because the team just announced that he will not be back for 2013. Sandy Alomar Jr. will replace Acta for the final few games of the season.
The Indians totally cratered in the second half. They went 5-24 in August and are 10-14 in September. Maybe no manager could have saved this team, but when you skid out of control like that, someone is likely to be held accountable.
As for the future: Alomar was a popular candidate when Acta was hired, has been mentioned as a managerial candidate elsewhere and is much-loved in Cleveland. This may be a short audition in the run up to being made the permanent skipper.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)