Sep 27, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
In August, Indians GM Chris Antonetti said that Manny Acta would be back as manager for 2013. August was a loooong time ago, apparently, because the team just announced that he will not be back for 2013. Sandy Alomar Jr. will replace Acta for the final few games of the season.
The Indians totally cratered in the second half. They went 5-24 in August and are 10-14 in September. Maybe no manager could have saved this team, but when you skid out of control like that, someone is likely to be held accountable.
As for the future: Alomar was a popular candidate when Acta was hired, has been mentioned as a managerial candidate elsewhere and is much-loved in Cleveland. This may be a short audition in the run up to being made the permanent skipper.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)