Sep 27, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Bourn is day-to-day after the MRI showed a slight sprain and no ligament tear.
8:32 PM: Michael Bourn is out of the Braves lineup for the fourth straight game tonight due to a jammed left thumb suffered on a head-first slide Saturday. Braves hand specialist Gary Lourie believes there’s no structural damage in the thumb, but David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the speedy center fielder was sent for a precautionary MRI earlier today to confirm.
The Braves have already wrapped up one of the Wild Cards, so they understandably want to play things safe, but Bourn hasn’t ruled out the possibility of returning for the series opener against the Mets tomorrow night assuming the MRI comes back clean.
“I wanted to play as soon as I can, but I knew the day after (injuring it), it was too sore,” Bourn said. “It swelled up the day after. But now most of the swelling’s gone. Some of the soreness is gone and it’s starting to feel better, but they just didn’t want me to rush out there and have any setbacks, which I can understand.”
Bourn, 29, is batting .274/.346/.391 with a .737 OPS and 93 runs scored in 151 games this season and leads the National League with 39 stolen bases. The impending free agent has established new career-highs with nine home runs and 56 RBI.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (195)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (90)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (83)