Sep 27, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
I’m definitely one of those “wins aren’t a good way to evaluate pitchers” guys, but, you know, whatever.
R.A. Dickey just picked up his 20th win of the season by striking out 13 batters over 7.2 innings of three-run ball against the Pirates, as the Mets hung on for a 6-5 victory.
Dickey is now 20-6 and while his 222/54 K/BB ratio and 2.69 ERA in a league-high 228 innings may be more substantive numbers in terms of actually evaluating his overall performance the knuckleballer joining the 20-win club at age 37 is pretty damn cool.
And if it helps him pick up a few Cy Young votes then that’s nice too.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 7
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 15
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)