Sep 27, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
I’m definitely one of those “wins aren’t a good way to evaluate pitchers” guys, but, you know, whatever.
R.A. Dickey just picked up his 20th win of the season by striking out 13 batters over 7.2 innings of three-run ball against the Pirates, as the Mets hung on for a 6-5 victory.
Dickey is now 20-6 and while his 222/54 K/BB ratio and 2.69 ERA in a league-high 228 innings may be more substantive numbers in terms of actually evaluating his overall performance the knuckleballer joining the 20-win club at age 37 is pretty damn cool.
And if it helps him pick up a few Cy Young votes then that’s nice too.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 8
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 81
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)