Sep 27, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
I’m definitely one of those “wins aren’t a good way to evaluate pitchers” guys, but, you know, whatever.
R.A. Dickey just picked up his 20th win of the season by striking out 13 batters over 7.2 innings of three-run ball against the Pirates, as the Mets hung on for a 6-5 victory.
Dickey is now 20-6 and while his 222/54 K/BB ratio and 2.69 ERA in a league-high 228 innings may be more substantive numbers in terms of actually evaluating his overall performance the knuckleballer joining the 20-win club at age 37 is pretty damn cool.
And if it helps him pick up a few Cy Young votes then that’s nice too.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)