R.A. Dickey whiffs 13 in picking up his 20th win of the year

Sep 27, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT

R.A. Dickey AP

I’m definitely one of those “wins aren’t a good way to evaluate pitchers” guys, but, you know, whatever.

R.A. Dickey just picked up his 20th win of the season by striking out 13 batters over 7.2 innings of three-run ball against the Pirates, as the Mets hung on for a 6-5 victory.

Dickey is now 20-6 and while his 222/54 K/BB ratio and 2.69 ERA in a league-high 228 innings may be more substantive numbers in terms of actually evaluating his overall performance the knuckleballer joining the 20-win club at age 37 is pretty damn cool.

And if it helps him pick up a few Cy Young votes then that’s nice too.

1. thebadguyswon - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Cy Young has been clinched.

• El Bravo - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I hope so. Start the year on Kilimanjaro. Finish with a NL CY award. He’s been on top of the world all damn year.

2. jayscarpa - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM

20 wins on a brutal club – Not too shabby.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Reminds me of reading about the ’72 season. Steve Carlton won 27 games that year… in a Phillies team that only won 59 games all season long! No wonder the Phillies would proclaim “Today is WIN day” whenever Carlton took the mound.

3. sdelmonte - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM

No matter how you slice it, RA has had a season for the books, one of the greatest ever pitched by a Met, in a year when he couldn’t count on the bats or the bullpen to help him out.

I hope he wins the Cy, but if not, it’s still been something Mets fans – and baseball fans overall – will remember for a while.

Maybe more pitchers should take up off season mountain climbing.

4. indaburg - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM

It couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. Dickey is in some pretty good company now, joining Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Dwight Gooden, David Cone, and Frank Viola as Mets 20 game winners. I’ll toast my dinner wine to him tonight.

5. chill1184 - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Ok lets get the internet tough guy excuses out of the way

1. Junk/cheap pitch
    2. On a losing team
    3. Overrated
    4. (derp) its the mets it shouldnt count (derp)
    5. Against the Pirates
    6. Parrots some what random Ministry of Truth moron (Rob Parker, Steve Smith etc) says

• paperlions - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM

7. Replacement Refs

6. sophiethegreatdane - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Good for you R.A.! Great story this year.

7. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Listened to the end of this game on the way home in the car. I thought the bullpen would blow it when Rauch gave up that two-run homer that cut the Mets lead to one, but thankfully Parnell came through.

During the summer in the first half of the season R.A. starts were a must watch and I’m very happy he got #20. Love the guy, love his story and will keep my fingers crossed that he wins the Cy Young.

8. TIF - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:40 PM

The fact that Dickey was able to reach 20 wins on such an offensively-challenged team speaks volumes about the type of year he had. It means he had to have his best stuff to win on most nights (this was not a team where he could get cheap wins by giving up 4 or 5 runs in five innings). He also had to go deep into games (because the Mets bullpen was horrendous). He led the league in complete games and shutouts. Quite the season and quite the achievement.

9. Jeremy T - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM

And now the Pirates need to win out to finish over .500

10. sportsdrenched - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I’m glad for Dickey I’ve been rooting for him since his Kilamajaro adventure brought him to the front of the coverage here.

Now, If I’m a MLB GM…do I send my SP staff to climb Kilamajaro this winter?

• jolt12 - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Or to knuckle skool.

11. cur68 - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Cy Young? Yeah. Cy Young, baby. Smell the knuckle!

12. exibitsman - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Thanks for the awsome season R A it’s been
    fun watching you pitch this year good luck in
    the cy young voting .

13. thefuzziestkitty - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I read his book a month ago, and one of the very first lines is (paraphrased since I don’t have my copy here) “I will never win the Cy Young and I will never lead the league in strikeouts.”

I, for one, am completely okay with this sort of inaccuracy.

14. kev86 - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Lock for the Cy.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3846)