Sep 27, 2012, 1:01 AM EDT
Bo Porter has been a popular name on the managing carousel for a few years now, and it was no surprise to learn the Astros would give him serious consideration for their vacancy. According to FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi and Ken Rosenthal, he’ll be Houston’s next manager.
Porter, who was previously a finalist for jobs in Florida and Pittsburgh, is currently serving as the Nationals’ third base coach.
A 40th-round pick out of the University of Iowa in 1993, Porter fought long and hard to reach the majors in 1999. He never could establish himself there — he ended up hitting .214 with two homers in 126 at-bats over three seasons — but there’s no denying he made the most of his talent. After retiring in 2003, he started coaching in the minors in 2005. He reached the majors as the Marlins’ third-base coach just two years later.
By taking the Houston job now, Porter passed on the possibility that a more attractive opportunity might present itself later. But on the plus side, he won’t face any pressure to win right away. The Astros are bringing in plenty of smart people, but it’s going to be a long time before they’re in any sort of position to contend in the AL West.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 2
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 44
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)