Sep 27, 2012, 5:20 PM EST
As soon as the Indians announced this afternoon that Manny Acta was out as manager there was speculation that Terry Francona could emerge as a potential candidate in Cleveland.
And according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the wheels may already be in motion.
Rosenthal reports that Francona “already has had preliminary contact with the Indians” and wonders if it might come down to “whether the Indians could pay Francona a large enough salary to persuade him to leave his job as an analyst for ESPN.”
I don’t know Francona’s financial situation other than the fact that he earned about $4 million per year from the Red Sox, but it seems unlikely that he’d let money get in the way if he’s itching to get back into managing after a year talking about the game on television.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)