The Brewers die a very appropriate death

Sep 27, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

Image (1) brewers%20logo.png.gif for post 4991

It has to be over for the Brewers now. They just lost 2-1 to the Reds, dropping them four back in the wild card race pending the outcome of tonight’s games.  It was a thin hope they had before — probably no real hope — but even the optimists have to jump ship now.

The thing about that loss: what killed them today in Cincinnati is what has killed them all year: The bullpen.

Up 1-0 entering the bottom of the ninth, Jonathan Axford came in to lock it down.  He retired the first two batters, striking them both out. Then gave up a homer to Todd Frazier, a single to Jay Bruce and a walkoff triple — triple! — to Dioner Navarro.

There’s no real shame in blowing a 1-0 game. It’s a tough save as far as those things go.  But when you think of just how many games the Brewers’ pen blew this year — and realize that it’s way, way more than the margin by which they will fall short of the wild card — you just have to kick yourself if you care about their fortunes.

1. sictransitchris - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I guess this means Ryan Braun can’t win NL MVP again.

2. stlouis1baseball - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I see what you are doing Calcaterra. I have always been aware. The ole’ reverse psychology trick.
    We know you secretly hope the Cardinals don’t make it. We know you are rooting for the Dodgers.
    We know!

• ufullpj - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM

That’s because their fans are so classy….

3. El Bravo - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:13 PM

What does this have to do with Dog Fisting?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Dog Fisting struck out 9 consecutive batters today. Just one shy of Tom Seavers all time record.

• El Bravo - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I saw that. I demand that from that post forward, through the rest of Craig’s tenure at HBT, that all topics be tied to Dog Fister in some way.

4. dcfan4life - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Brewer fans be proud of the effort. This kind of ending can carry over to next year.

5. Stiller43 - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Thats a shame

6. osbornesmith - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM

The idea of a walkoff triple intrigued me, so I went to MLB.com and watched the video. There is no way that should be ruled a triple! Navarro was jogging around second as the Brewers threw home. Navarro continued to jog toward third base as his teammates came out to mob him. It doesn’t change the outcome, but I hate sloppy scoring decisions.

• El Bravo - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I bet it gets changed by tomorrow.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I am with you Ozzie. As Bravo stated…I am sure it will be changed to a double.

• El Bravo - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM

…either they change it or the world ends…

• deepstblu - Sep 28, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Rule 10.06(f): “Subject to the provisions of Rule 10.06(g), when a batter ends a game with a safe hit that drives in as many runs as are necessary to put his team in the lead, the official scorer shall credit such batter with only as many bases on his hit as are advanced by the runner who scores the winning run, and then only if the batter runs out his hit for as many bases as are advanced by the runner who scores the winning run.” (Rule 10.06(g) is the exception for out-of-the-park home runs.) The runner had to advance three bases to score, and Navarro reached and touched third; I watched the video and I thought that was acceptable running for a catcher. Under the rule I don’t see a reason to deprive him of the triple.

• osbornesmith - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I am familiar with the rule, but it was clearly a “double, took third on the throw home” situation. At least that was my take.

7. raysfan1 - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM

That’s Navarro’s 1st triple this year and 4th in 9 years,.. Just to emphasize the oddity of him hitting a walk-off triple. Brewers fans gotta feel snake bit on that one.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I didn’t realize Navarro has been around 9 years.

8. brewcrewfan54 - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Way to help put the nail in the Brewers coffin Axman!

9. theaxmancometh - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM

That’s 29 blown saves. If they’d converted even half of those they’d have a 1 game lead on the Reds. Very disappointing season for Milwaukee fans considering the offense has been so good. First in hr, runs scored, steals. Rotation was good besides Wolf who was released. Perhaps I should change my user name to theaxmanbloweth

• nightman13 - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM

With all the extra money leftover that was budgeted for a Prince and then Grienke extension, they should be able to add a few nice pieces and grab some much needed pen help.

Ax never should have shaved his mustache back in May or June, everything fell apart the game after. You NEVER mess with the magic of a well manicured stache.

Why do you think Tom Selleck is still relevant, his acting?

10. brewcrewchamps - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I’m pretty sure that ax is doing this on purpose now..

11. ufullpj - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The loss was bad – but watching Peralta being forced to leave because of an arm issue…insult to injury…or the other way around.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3048)