Sep 27, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The Cubs stink and need to get better. The new CBA makes it really hard to get better via the draft and international signings. So it’s free agency or bust for Chicago. And they’re going into the market with their wallets open, reports Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com:
“We will have some financial flexibility,” Hoyer said. “We’ve been diligent about making sure that we do have flexibility and we’re efficient going forward. We’re obviously going to be active in the free-agent market. I don’t think there’s any question about that.
Mooney notes that, after years of crappy contracts on the book, they only have $40 million guaranteed to players next year before you figure in arbitration cases, and that leaves a lot of room for Chicago to operate.
Between there being several teams with a lot of money having big needs and the fact that everyone is getting richer with TV deals, I think this winter is going to make us feel like we’re back in the early 2000s, free-agency wise. And I don’t mean with top-ticket signings, because the real blue chippers aren’t on the market as early or as often as they used to be. I’m talking about middle class free agents getting big deals. Think Pat Mears with the Pirates and stuff.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)