Sep 27, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The Cubs stink and need to get better. The new CBA makes it really hard to get better via the draft and international signings. So it’s free agency or bust for Chicago. And they’re going into the market with their wallets open, reports Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com:
“We will have some financial flexibility,” Hoyer said. “We’ve been diligent about making sure that we do have flexibility and we’re efficient going forward. We’re obviously going to be active in the free-agent market. I don’t think there’s any question about that.
Mooney notes that, after years of crappy contracts on the book, they only have $40 million guaranteed to players next year before you figure in arbitration cases, and that leaves a lot of room for Chicago to operate.
Between there being several teams with a lot of money having big needs and the fact that everyone is getting richer with TV deals, I think this winter is going to make us feel like we’re back in the early 2000s, free-agency wise. And I don’t mean with top-ticket signings, because the real blue chippers aren’t on the market as early or as often as they used to be. I’m talking about middle class free agents getting big deals. Think Pat Mears with the Pirates and stuff.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)