The D.C. Metro will run late for Nats playoff games

Sep 27, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT

Metro Map

A deal has been struck in Washington which will allow the Metro to run late to accommodate Nationals playoff games which may do the same. But the Nats aren’t paying for it. And neither is the city:

Metro will announce Thursday afternoon that a “third party” will fund extended service during any playoff game that ends late, according to a person familiar with the deal. The private entity will put down the $29,500 deposit required by Metro to keep the trains running for an extra hour.

I wonder who this “third party” is? I hope it’s Stephen Strasburg, trying his hardest to be a part of the Nats drive for a world championship.

UPDATE: Not Strasburg. It’s Living Social.  I guess that’s good advertising. I have no idea. I tend to think — based on gut instinct more than any knowledge of how these things work — that most solo sponsorship deals are kind off odd and I question if they’re worth the bang for the sponsor’s buck.

1. sophiethegreatdane - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I’ll never forget trying to catch the Metro outside of JFK stadium after a Biily Joel-Elton John concert. Thousands of people standing there trying to get the Metro, and it closed promptly at 11 pm. Ridiculous. Ever tried to convince a DC taxi driver to take you * outside* the city? Impossible.

This is a smart decision, but it’s also one that shouldn’t have to be made. The Metro should be available to, you know, haul people in an efficient manner after a major event.

• natstowngreg - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Actually, it is possible to get a DC cab to go to the suburbs. I’ve done it several times. You just have to be lucky in your choice of drivers.

There is a cab pickup area a block or so north of Nats Park. As one of my fellow (half) season ticket holders related, however, there weren’t enough cabs available after Metro closed, even for a very small crowd.

• jgraening - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

It is impossible for me to read the words DC Cab and not immediatly think of Mr. T.

• nolanwiffle - Sep 28, 2012 at 8:23 AM

You think that’s bad?! Imagine being a DC cab driver trying to find “JFK Stadium”.

• sophiethegreatdane - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Yeah…an edit function would go a loooong way around here. Typing anything longer than a sentence or two on an iPad always makes me a little more squirrelly than usual!

2. stlouis1baseball - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Great to hear they are keeping it open. D.C. needs some aversion right know.
    Word on the street is…Mitt footed the bill. You know…to “re-distribute” the wealth.

3. historiophiliac - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I hope this means Teddy Roosevelt has to take the Metro ride of shame.

4. bigleagues - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Third party pays for Metro. Called it when story first reported.

And I guarantee story doesn’t end here. Just wait until the off-season, when they try and hammer out a more permanent solution.

• natslady - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Yep, so did I. Said it would/should be a corporate sponsor. Also agree this story will continue. Because, y’know, Nats are going to the WS next year, too. ;)

• natstowngreg - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Yup, after the Nats win the World Series, we’ll be entitled to World Series wins for, oh, at least the next 5 years…

• badintent - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Pack mace, knifes, etc. Living Social ain’t paying for police officers on more trains. We talking bout DC here, not Seattle.

• badintent - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM

WE talking about DC here, not ASPEN.( SORRY SEATTLE) CLUELESS……………….

5. frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

So? They are only going to get one game when the Braves catch them.

• natstowngreg - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

That’s the spirit! Don’t give up like a certain blogger has…

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I gotta hold on to something. I can’t stand the thought of being ousted in just 1 game this year.

6. danaking - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Good thing Living Social stepped up. God forbid the Lerners should have to pay for anything. I’d like to root for the team, but the thought of the owners kills it for me.

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 27, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Why should the Lerners pay. No other MLB owner pays. Metro & DC need to stop sticking their hands out for payments that other cities handle at no cost to the team. You know, show some civic pride instead of soaking the “rich.”

• kkolchak - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Why should the taxpayers of DC, many of who I would gather are not baseball fans, pay to help out a multibillionaire? Your priorities are completely screwed up.

• 18thstreet - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Just to be clear: it’s a deposit, and if there’s enough riders to cover the cost of that deposit (which seems exceedingly likely: it just happened for two nights of Madonna concerts at the MCI Center), then the Lerners would have gotten their money back.

They were being exceedingly cheap. And there was no reason for WMATA to make a deal for the Nationals that they wouldn’t make for other private businesses. None. Just because we like baseball here doesn’t mean everyone does.

• 18thstreet - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM

(‘Here’ meaning the comments section of Hardball Talk.)

• akismet-e6748cca3a16ea6e8283008d25583adc - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I don’t think it was up to the Lerners. MLB told the Lerners to not make the deal so as not to set a precedent. If you’re going to be holier than thou, direct it at Bud Selig.

7. natstowngreg - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Craig, for providing this nugget, you are hereby absolved of your sins against Nats fans, until tomorrow morning’s ATH. Maybe longer, if you behave yourself. Except for the heresy trial; too much entertainment potential.

I still think the Nats should pay, now and into the forseeable future. If a sponsor wants to pick up the tab, that’s OK, but how long will it continue to pick up the tab?

8. hojo20 - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I could’ve used “third party” help in 2007. I turned down free Red Sox-Angels playoff tickets because the game was an 8:10 start on TBS and my last train out of town was at 11:00. The game ended at 12:15am.

9. Old Gator - Sep 28, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Dear Buddha, how did they ever get those asshole congressional Republicans to refrain from obstructing this?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Obstructing it? Hell Gator…Mitt paid for it! He is all about “re-distributing” the wealth.
      All in the name of helping out his fellow man. You know…warm and fuzzy style!

I now leave you to dole out $100.00 bills at the local free cheese line.
      The way I see it…the $100.00 saves our local entities the cost of the cheese and allows those in line to buy cigarettes, alcohol and the National Enquirer.
      I mean…this is the right thing to do. Right? Or no? Ahhhh…yes. It’s the right thing to do.

Final take away from World Series