The Marlins are going to give Adam Greenberg an at bat next week

Sep 27, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

You probably heard of the push to get Adam Greenberg an at bat. He’s the guy who, in his major league debut for the Chicago Cubs in 2005, was hit in the head with a pitch and suffered a severe, major league career-ending concussion. Though his career is over, there has been a push on to get him one official at bat. Now someone is obliging:

I’m still a little mystified about all of this. The guy did have a plate appearance even if he didn’t get an at bat. It ended poorly, yes, but he still played in the minors and stuff. Lots of guys never even get the one plate appearance.  But yes, I acknowledge that’s me just being grumpy. It’s a good story.

Good for Jeff Loria to do something that’s actually nice and generous. With the few months he and the Marlins have had, this kind of fresh air is most welcome.

1. nagrommit - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Jeff Loria is still a bad guy.

2. unlost1 - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Mets; Dickey; 3 knuckleballs & a strikeout. HOORAY!
    it’s over, that was my carrer.
    Sounds like a perfect Seinfeld episode.

• lamborginipercy12 - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Wow, good call.

• unlost1 - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM

*career*

3. metalhead65 - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM

would it make you feel better if loaded up on roids before his at bat then got a hit? you don’t seem to have a problem with cheaters but giving a guy a happy ending to his baseball dream is bad?

• Jeremiah Graves - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:11 AM

gross. grow up.

• Alex K - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Watch out…according to him if you don’t hold his same beliefs about steroid use you’re not a real baseball fan.

• deadeyedesign23 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I don’t know why this has so many thumbs down. It seems to me that this has constantly been mocked around here, but there’s a clear agenda to be an apologist for cheaters as well.

• Alex K - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM

It’s because a lot of people (me included) realize that we don’t know the actual effects of steroids on player performance. So it’s more a clear agenda to think like grown-ups.

• deadeyedesign23 - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I didn’t make any determinations about the effects of steroids. I said it was cheating which is not something that’s up for debate. But props on being a grown up.

• metalhead65 - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:18 AM

don’t know the effect of steroids on performance?so you do not think steroids had any effect on bonds going from 48 homers as a career high to setting a record for home runs 1 year after mcguire set it? or the fact sosa became a 60 home run hitter over night? or the fact the bodies of both bonds and sosa under went dramatic changes in a years time? steroids had nothing to do with that? they did not help them or the other players who took them add muscle to thier bodies to get increased strength to come up with the extra power to hit those home runs?please don’t bother trying to convince me otherwise it happened and you know it did and trying to pretend roids had nothing to do with it is just insane.

• paperlions - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Yes, it was cheating….just like using amphetamines was cheating. No one is the apologist you imagine, people just think all cheating should be treated the same, without special rules for one type of cheating versus another.

• Alex K - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM

deadeye- I never said you made any determinations, either. I was just filling you in on why I believed there would be so many thumbs down to that post.

What you called being an apologist I called thinking like a grown-up. I never actually claimed to be a grown-up!

• Alex K - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM

metalhead- We know that the use of steroids will help build muscle because it allows the body to recover faster which will allow the person to work out harder/longer/more. That is all we know for sure. Does being super duper strong help a baseball player? Yes, but how much? Do we know how how much the extra strength really adds to a player’s performance? Nope.

Steroids were being used a long time before 1998 and people weren’t destroying offensive records before then. Why did all the steroids just start to magically work like a charm and turn people into monsters then? There couldn’t be any other reason, right?

4. mdpickles - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I bet if he strikes out, Ozzie will chew him out.

5. thefalcon123 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I like this and I think the Marlins should keep it going and have Larry Yount start the game.

It goes without saying that they should also provide the corpse of Moonlight Graham with a plate appearance. Just prop his casket up in the batters box, I suppose.

• Jeremiah Graves - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I like this, where do we start a petition to get Moonlight Graham into a game. Sure, he’s a bit of a recluse, but come on now…he’s just hanging out in a cornfield in Iowa. He won’t be that hard to find.

I assume the Mariners would gladly put him in the lineup before they’d give Chone Figgins an at-bat…or maybe the Mets would punch him in there over Jason Bay?!

6. drunkenhooliganism - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Loria’s only requirement is that Greenberg buys his own ticket.

7. dlf9 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM

What happens if Greenberg walks or hits a sac fly? Do the Fish keep sending him the plate until he gets an at bat?

• ptfu - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Yep. If he walks or hits a sac fly, he’ll win a starting job. Too many Feesh are mailing it in.

8. karlton3 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM

With any other owner it would be a nice gesture, but c’mon, it’s Loria; this is a pure publicity stunt.

• paperlions - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Loria is an asshat….but let’s be honest, it would be a publicity stunt for nearly every owner (possibly for all of them)….even the Cubs, for whom he had his one PA.

9. number42is1 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM

soooooooo…. if gets a walk or HBT… what then?

10. pmcenroe - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Need to start a petition to get Glenn Williams back to the big leagues. He wasn’t great but I still can’t believe he didn’t get another crack after this performance.

11. indaburg - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM

It’s a good story, and after the soap opera (As Macondo Turns) the past few days, why not? I see Craig’s point. Lots of guys never get a chance at the major league level. It’s just that Greenberg’s sole at bat ended so dreadfully.

I think I’m going to start a petition for Loria to give Old Gator an at bat too.

• dlf9 - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Careful. If you give Gator a bat, he probably will use it to hit Sampson. Not — to quote Seinfeld — that there is anything wrong with that.

• pjmitch - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM

One of the beauties to using a Seinfeld quote is you should not need to say that it is a Seinfeld quote

12. pike573 - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Hmm. Didn’t really expect all this in the comments.

Dude got drilled in the head in his one and only plate appearance. He just wants one AB to remember his baseball life by, one that isn’t a nightmare. It’s not about getting an official AB, it’s about living a dream and this time it doesn’t end horribly. He worked all his life for it and he was, at one time, good enough to make it. Then he gets hit and it ends. Let him write another ending to his story.

13. whitlockd - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM

What if he walks as a pinch hitter in the ninth? Will they invite him back he next day so he gets another chance at an official AB?

I’m also curious why the Marlins are doing this. I don’t know Greenberg’s history, but it would seem to be tied to the Cubs.

• bh192012 - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM

The team he was playing against, that plunked him in the head, was the Marlins.

14. chromedog - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM

What if he gets hit in the head again??? Give him another crack at in four years???

15. temporarilyexiled - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Two birds one stone department:

Appoint him baseball’s new commissioner.

16. phalatek6 - Sep 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Maybe it’s just me, but I personally wouldn’t want the “charity.” if I didn’t earn it, I wouldn’t want to be a gimmick.

• mazblast - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM

He earned it back in 2005. Loria, for all his asshattery, is doing something nice for the guy.

17. jashton11 - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM

And they say Jeffrey Loria’s heart grew three sizes that day …

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2797)