Todd Helton plans to play next season after hip surgery

Sep 27, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT

Todd Helton AP AP

Not that there was much doubt considering he’s under contract for $5 million, but Todd Helton confirmed that he’s planning to come back from hip surgery to play in 2013.

“I think, physically, I will be able to come back,” Helton said, via Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post. “So I plan on coming back, but there are a couple of things still on my mind. I want to know I have a good chance to make it through next year–healthy. That will factor into it.”

In other words it’s not quite 100 percent that he’ll return, which seems natural considering he’s just six weeks removed from surgery to repair a torn labrum and still going through the recovery process at age 39.

This was Helton’s worst season, as the career .320 hitter batted just .238 while trying to play through the hip injury before shutting things down in August. He’ll likely be a part-time player in 2013, but it’d be nice to see Helton go out on a high note.

1. Utley's Hair - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Will there be a rule change allowing him to use the bat as a cane to get around the bases?

2. gogigantos - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Does a retiring hat tip at altitude during introductions count as a high note? Maybe he could parlay the last year of his contract into some kind of lifetime service job with the club. If I was a Rockies fan, I wouldn’t be too thrilled with him soaking up a roster spot after opening day. He’s had a great run, put him to pasture if he won’t take himself out.

3. yahmule - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Give Rosario a first baseman’s glove and tell Todd he’s a pinch hitter now.

4. maximusprime107 - Sep 28, 2012 at 3:15 AM

It would be nice to see him go out on a high note, but he really needs to shut it down and be done. He would be taking away playing time from younger guys who earned to play this season after the rash of injures the Rockies faced

5. Griff - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Age is all in the mind. Yours and his. DNA research is out there to back this up. (Bruce Lipton PhD.) He can be good again if that’s how he see’s himself. He’s earned the chance to attempt it.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate