“Wake up and smell the knuckle”

Sep 27, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

I’ve recently started watching “The Rockford Files” on Netflix during my treadmill time.  Love me some 1970s detective and cop drama. In the pilot, Jim shoots down an airplane with a small caliber pistol.  High speed chases are clearly filmed with cars driving at 20 miles per hour and then speeding up the film. It’s a gas, man.

Anyway, in light of my love of that — and my love of knuckleballers — I think I’d be all over this latest show:

1. elmaquino - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Can the Fan Cave be over now?

• indaburg - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Aw, come on. That was funny. “I’m Phil Niekro.”

2. cur68 - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Forget about that macho shit and learn to throw the knuckleball.

3. donkastain - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM

For some reason, I found Niekro’s catchphrase to be the funniest.

4. scatterbrian - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM

You like the 70s detective shows? Check out Cannon. Nothing like a fat, balding, mustachioed cop laying dudes out with karate chops and sometimes getting the ladies. Extra points for driving a Lincoln Mark III.

5. makeham98 - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Mannix > Cannon

• cur68 - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM

meh. Hawaii 5-0 > Anything.

• nolanwiffle - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Clearly, neither of you ever saw Toma.

• yahmule - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Joe Mannix was the most badass private detective ever and I wanted to marry his secretary, Peggy Fair.

• bigharold - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

“In the pilot, Jim shoots down an airplane with a small caliber pistol.”

The Rockford files was the absolute best PI show on TV ever. I was in college during it’s heyday and we didn’t go out to howl until after the show was over.

Baretta was the absolute toughest TV cop of the 70, .. hands down. Besides, how could you think any is tougher, .. Robert Blake actually killed someone?

Of course it was his wife and although he was acquitted he was found liable in civil court.

6. Brian Donohue - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Great as my admiration was for Jim Garner back when I used to watch TV, I have an issue with mixing TV with treadmill time.

• Max Power - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM

“I don’t watch television. Notice I didn’t say ‘TV.’ Because ‘TV’ is a nickname and nicknames are for friends and television is no friend of mine.”

(I know you said “TV,” but it still reminded me of that Mr. Show classic line.)

7. APBA Guy - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Rockfish is the best. His dad was played by Noah Beery Jr, a huge TV presence in the 50’s and 60’s who I first noticed on “Circus Boy” starring Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees. Anyway, Beery was just part of the superb supporting cast of Rockford Files, including also Stuart Margolin as Angel.

• mazblast - Sep 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Wasn’t it guest star Isaac Hayes who called him “Rockfish”?

8. koufaxmitzvah - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Note to Marketing:

Knuckleball 2: Electric Boogaloo

• kevinbnyc - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Where R.A. and co. teach knuckleballs to inner city kids to save their community center.

9. gogigantos - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Oh man, I do love me some good Isaac Hayes RockFish episodes. I watched that pilot not so long ago myself and enjoyed it. Shooting down the plane with his tiny handgun was comical, but at least he had it on him, he didn’t usually carry a gun. The best of its time it was, and still holds up OK. It is great stuff if just for seeing LA so many years ago when it actually looked livable. Vegas back then?! Wow. Jim was just a big softie for helping out the ladies in distress. Yup, love me some RockFish from time to time.

10. KR - Sep 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Call and see if Paul can score some weed.

• Gamera the Brave - Sep 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Ben Folds > almost everyone

11. nolanwiffle - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM

The man could print phony business cards in his car, which gave him entree to wherever the hell he needed to go.

Great theme song too.

• sdelmonte - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM

You’re humming it right now, aren’t you? I sure am.

• gogigantos - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Nope, playing it right now. Love the ever changing phone messages, and the antique answering machine. The ever changing into leads directly to Bart Simpson.

• gogigantos - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Best guitar solo in TV theme song history. The Wrecking Crew, great, legendary, studio group. Check the documentary of the same name. You would never know how many tracks that bunch left their licks on.
      The business card trick is gold.

12. number42is1 - Sep 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Wake up and smell the Knuckle sounds like the name of the next American Pie movie

13. yahmule - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:01 PM

My condolences to James Garner for the beating the Broncos are going to lay on his Raiders this Sunday.

14. nategearhart - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM

You can’t stream it Craig, but The Streets Of San Francisco was a great show that you can get on disc from Netflix. Michael Douglas and Karl Malden and San Francisco!

15. foreverchipper10 - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM

That video was R.A. Diculous.

16. digbysellers - Sep 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Moose knuckle?

17. moogro - Sep 28, 2012 at 4:04 AM

I love all the implied booty calls. Especially with Beth.

Ace-killer Giants do it again