Chipper Jones honored pregame, can’t hit in game

Sep 28, 2012, 11:42 PM EST

Chipper Jones Reuters

It’s Chipper Jones‘ final regular-season series in Atlanta, and the Braves brought out the big guns in a pregame ceremony Friday, with Hank Aaron and Bobby Cox paying tribute to the future Hall of Famer.

Aaron gave Jones a third base with the words “Chipper Jones 1993-2012,” and his teammates got him a pool table. The bases and on-deck circles on the field were stamped with a special logo in honor of Chipper. Jones’ No. 10 was painted in the grass in center field.

Speaking to his teammates on the field before the game, Chipper said “I feel like every one of you are my younger brothers. You have done such a great job of coming back after what happened last year. I’m so proud of each and every one of you.”

Unfortunately, the game itself didn’t go so well for Chipper or the Braves. Jones went 0-for-4 and the Braves fell to the Mets 3-1. The team had just four hits off Jon Niese and company.

“I think I had a tear planted in the corner of my eye basically all night,” Jones said afterwards. “It’s pretty tough to hit when you’re misty like that.”

1. thetruth702 - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Can’t believe his career is coming to an end. Sad to watch. Haven’t ever watched a baseball season with chipper not on the Braves. Gonna be weird.

• cowboysoldiertx - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Same here… Chipper and me grew up together (though I am not really a Braves fan, I cna take them or leave them).

2. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Sep 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM

I was there tonight. It was a great experience despite the final score. Excellent atmosphere at the Ted and lots of great names participating in the preface ceremony itself as well as in the jumbotron messages they showed between innings. Hadn’t thought of Otis Nixon, Ryan Klesko or Javy Lopez in years … and they all contributed to the festivities. Great stuff.

3. wu360 - Sep 29, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Class act and a stand up guy. The game won’t be the same. Definitely the end of an era.

4. greymares - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

what’s Craig going to give him for all those hours in the bathroom with the video replays lol.

5. seahawks19081 - Sep 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM

From a Phillies fan, Chipper is a class act and one of, if not the best switch hitter of all time.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5211)
  2. M. Kemp (3102)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2787)
  4. C. McGehee (2786)