Sep 28, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Earlier this week Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com wrote that the Angels were likely to decline their 2013 options on Dan Haren and Ervin Santana while focusing on re-signing Zack Greinke to a huge long-term deal.
Gonzalez cited “a source familiar with the team’s thinking” and … well, Haren thinks whoever that source is has “dumb timing” and “stupid timing.”
Here’s more, via Ramona Shelbourne of ESPN Los Angeles:
Whatever source familiar with the Angels’ thinking said it, I think it was probably dumb timing for them to say something. We have 10 days left, two weeks left. I think the last thing myself or Ervin are thinking about is our status for next year. We’re focused on the task at hand. I thought it was really stupid timing for something like that to come out.
He’s right, of course, although it’s important to note that “a source familiar with the team’s thinking” doesn’t necessarily mean someone in the Angels organization and in fact the phrasing actually suggests the person isn’t in the Angels organization. In which case they probably don’t care about the timing and what impact it could have on the Angels’ playoff chances.
Haren also made it clear that he wants to remain with the Angels beyond this season, saying “of course I want to come back” and “of course I want to stay.” He went on to say that he understands how the team may have lost confidence in him this season, but cited his strong track record and added: “If I don’t come back, I’ll go somewhere else and help that team out.”
Based on that track record choosing his $15.5 million option instead of a $3.5 million buyout would be a no-brainer, but based on the 32-year-old’s 4.32 ERA and back problems this season the decision on Haren is much tougher.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)