Sep 28, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
There are a lot of crazy stats within Fernando Rodney‘s amazing comeback season for the Rays, including the fact that he converted his 46th save in 48 chances last night and now has a 72/16 K/BB ratio in 72.1 innings at age 35 after walking more batters than he struck out for the Angels last year.
This stat, however, is the most shocking: Last night Rodney lowered his ERA to 0.62, which means he’s one more scoreless inning from tying Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley for the lowest ERA of all time among pitchers with 50-plus innings in a season.
Eckersley had a 0.61 ERA during his incredible 1990 season for the A’s, allowing five earned runs in 73.1 innings. And here’s where it gets spooky: Rodney has currently allowed five earned runs in 72.1 innings, so if he tosses a scoreless frame next time out he’d match Eckersley’s runs and innings total exactly.
Tampa Bay has six games remaining on the schedule, so Rodney will get an opportunity to throw more than one more inning. In other words, if he doesn’t cough up another run this season Fernando Rodney is going to break Dennis Eckersley’s record.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)