Sep 28, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Last month Indians general manager Chris Antonetti told reporters that Manny Acta would be back as manager next season. And then yesterday Antonetti fired Acta.
That alone makes it pretty tough to place much weight in anything the Indians say about hiring and firing at this point, but yesterday Antonetti got a vote of confidence from upper management. Presumably it means more than the vote of confidence Acta got from Antonetti.
Here’s what team president Mark Shapiro–who was the GM before moving upstairs in 2010–said about going forward with Antonetti:
We obviously look at a broad range of criteria when we’re evaluating everybody. Chris is dealing with a set of challenges, which I understand, some of which are the creation of the organization that he and I ran together, and some of which are the result of other decisions.
But I feel he’s controlled the bulk of what he can control well. [Indians CEO Paul Dolan] and I still endorse strongly his vision for how we can be competitive and, ultimately, a championship team. We feel that he’s uniquely qualified and more capable than any other person in leading us to that outcome.
As far as votes of confidence go that’s a good one, I guess, and it’s worth noting that Shapiro was still technically the GM when the Indians hired Acta to a three-year contract following the 2009 season. Shapiro may also feel responsible that some of his final moves as GM didn’t set up Antonetti for immediate success, but whatever the case it seems pretty clear that 2013 will be a make-or-break year for Antonetti in Cleveland.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 20
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)