Sep 28, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Good news for the Rangers. According to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, an MRI ruled out any significant issues with his shoulder. He was diagnosed with a cervical (neck) sprain, but it’s not known when he’ll be able to resume throwing.
5:42 PM: Texas’ bullpen may have just lost its top setup man right before the playoffs, as Mike Adams told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram that he’s out indefinitely with a shoulder injury and underwent an MRI exam today.
Adams missed time earlier this month with the same injury and had an ugly outing yesterday in which he served up three homers in two-thirds of an inning after previously allowing a grand total of one homer in his first 52.2 innings this season.
Adams has been extremely good for the Rangers since coming over in a trade from the Padres last July, logging 78 innings with a 2.88 ERA and 70/22 K/BB ratio. For now he’s hoping to be ready for the playoffs, but that’s obviously far from a sure thing.
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 36
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 82
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)