Sep 28, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
We mentioned the other day that a developer in St. Petersburg was going to unveil plans for a new Rays ballpark today. He did, and here’s an artist’s rendering.
Pretty. It’s supposed to hold 35,000 people which, hey, I suppose it could happen someday. It’s also supposed to cost between $540 million to $577 million if they go with a retractable roof or fixed-roof version, and $424 million for an open air stadium. Which would be monumentally stupid in Florida.
No sense of how anyone would pay for this, how it jibes with the iron-clad lease the Rays currently have for Tropicana Field or anything of that nature. But hey, pretty pictures.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)