Plans for a fantasy Tampa Bay Rays ballpark revealed

Sep 28, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT

Rays stadium

We mentioned the other day that a developer in St. Petersburg was going to unveil plans for a new Rays ballpark today.  He did, and here’s an artist’s rendering.

Pretty.  It’s supposed to hold 35,000 people which, hey, I suppose it could happen someday.  It’s also supposed to cost between $540 million to $577 million if they go with a retractable roof or fixed-roof version, and $424 million for an open air stadium. Which would be monumentally stupid in Florida.

No sense of how anyone would pay for this, how it jibes with the iron-clad lease the Rays currently have for Tropicana Field or anything of that nature.  But hey, pretty pictures.

1. strawhatcook - Sep 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but cant MLB step in and pretty much release the Rays of that lease? I want the team to leave St.Pete personally, even though I live like 2 miles away from the Trop. Im a Lightning season ticket holder and have no issues going to Tampa for them. I can certainly do so for the Rays

• jayscarpa - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

It’s up to the city of St. Pete, MLB has no say.

• hittfamily - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

MLB could take over the lease I suppose, and the Rays could go anywhere. I have no I idea what the contract terms are, but I would think that as long as the city gets it’s rent, it wouldn’t matter if a team occupies the building or not.

• paperlions - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I’m willing to bet the terms include the actual hosting of events.

2. bamadodger79 - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I know this is just a sketch, but I see ZERO parking…

• natslady - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM

You just have to figure out who’ll pay for Metro to stay open late, right. There, fixed it for ya.

• Panda Claus - Sep 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Parking garage in the basement, that’s why it doesn’t show in the sketch.

• raysfan1 - Sep 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Architectural sketches routinely take license with the reality. When I was still on active duty, we were having a new building built on base… The architect’s drawing replaced the runway, what would actually be in the background, with a pond.

3. kkolchak - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Good news, taxpayers of Florida, you’re about to get boned by MLB again.

• Old Gator - Sep 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Taxpayers of Florida bone themselves by electing the same corrupt swine over and over again.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Speaking of which, that psychotic fascist, Allen West, is up by 9 according this morning’s polls.

Floridians are monumentally stupid people. They give Arizonans a run for their money.

• Old Gator - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Are you kidding? They give Kansans a run for their money. Fairy tales in your science book, anyone?

4. professor30 - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM

They shouldn’t be too upset after everything worked out so well in Miami.

• henryd3rd - Sep 29, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Yeah things worked out quite well here in Miami. Lousy team, crazy owner/ management, crazy managers, no parking, low attendance and horrible traffic on game days; but things have really worked out.

BY the way it looks like Ozzie will be canned at the end of the season; but like you said things have really worked out for Miami.

• Old Gator - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:31 AM

“Low attendance” broke two million for the first time in nearly a decade last week. Less than anticipated, yes, but still a huge increase over the last seven years or so. As for the rest – crazy like foxes. They’re claiming to have lost money this year, and if you think back to the last time the Chihuahua was out in public whining about their losses and it turned out that they were actually the most profitable franchise in MLB, well, you can figure out what that means. Practiced liars, yes. Crazy? Uh-uh. As far as parking, how many games have you been to? Aside from the garages, which are idiotically overpriced, I have no trouble whatsoever finding cheap private parking directly adjacent to the stadium on any given night – even when the Borg or the Mutts are in town.

Lousy team? Even that’s not accurate. It’s a shitful team.

5. dawgpoundmember - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I have been wondering why there was a need for a new stadium for the Rays since they have only played there since 1998, then I did my research and now I’m wondering why anyone would built a stadium that didn’t have anyone to play in it.

• kkolchak - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM

They were trying to steal the White Sox from Chicago.

• hittfamily - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM

The White Sox were threatening to move. St Pete stepped up, wanting the team. I believe a contract had even been drawn up for the Sox, but literally at the last moment, the city of Chicago agreed to finance a remodel of Comisky park. St Pete got screwed for a decade until MLB expanded.

This also explains why the rings get hit. It was designed in the 70’s, built in the 80’s. People didn’t have as much power back then. What might have happened once a year in 1985, happens once a month now.

• dawgpoundmember - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Thanks hitfamily, I seen they wanted the White Sox but the Dodgers just left New York without a stadium built for them yet, so I wondered what the deal with that was.

• nascarlightningrays - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The Trop was never intended to be a permanent home for them. It was a very cheaply constructed “Build and they will come” ballpark, and it’s in a horrible location. As for your last question, I’m not aware of the White Sox ever threatening to come here, but I do know the Giants and Mariners were possibilities at the time, before we were eventually granted the Rays through expansion.

• raysfan1 - Sep 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM

The deal to bring the Giants to the Tampa Bay Area was actually done until MLB forced it to be scuttled. The lawsuit that would have followed was headed off by agreeing to grant an expansion team instead.

• Old Gator - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM

True, but it’s not just that they were afraid of lawsuits. They were desperately afraid that one or more of those suits might have carried all the way to the Supreme Court and scuttled their antitrust exemption.

6. temporarilyexiled - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM

For what it’s worth, I hope both Florida teams solve their problems. The Rays deserve a good stadium in a reasonable location, and the Marlins deserve to be run…not into the ground. I’m one who’s not sure if Florida can support baseball in the way intended, but I’d sure like to see both organizations have a fighting chance.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3458)