Ryan Braun and John Axford thank Brewers fans by giving away 5,000 tickets

Sep 28, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

free stuff

Milwaukee’s season more or less came to an end last night thanks to John Axford blowing a save against the Reds, dropping the Brewers to four games out of the second Wild Card spot.

That might make it tough for fans to appreciate a nice gesture from Axford at this point–or at any point this season, considering his nine blown saves–but the closer has partnered with Ryan Braun to purchase 5,000 tickets for Sunday’s game and give them away for free as part of “Fan Appreciation Weekend” at Miller Park.

Fans can sign up for the free tickets on Brewers.com, although they will “be responsible for paying a per order processing fee.”

1. willclarkgameface - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM

A per order processing fee????

THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE FREE.

What do the Brewers need to do besides printing out the damn tickets? Give me a break. This shit is weak and it doesn’t matter anyway. The money they make on their processing fees will have to be a sufficient to the income they will lose by not making the playoffs.

LAME MOVE BREWERS.

• blacksables - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Or to paraphrase what you really meant to say:

“Nice gesture by Braun and Axford.”

Sometimes you stray off-topic.

• natslady - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Sometimes? You are too generous. :)

• willclarkgameface - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

No veering off subject. I always giggle with the amount of replies I get that fall into the “baseball is romantic and shouldn’t be attacked” category. This is one of those.

You’re telling me there is absolutely no way to print tickets without charging fans a fee? How about keeping this thing on the up and up by making it will call, NOT letting scalpers get their hands on ANY of these, print them out. make people show ID to get them, and have a nice day at the ballpark?

Why don’t you people think that way? Is there something wrong with me thinking that free should be free? Sure Braun and Axford did a nice thing, but the Brewers are just trying to get a hit on that and that sucks.

• brewcrewfan54 - Sep 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Actually I don’t find it to be a way for the Brewers to get a cut since Axford and Braun PAID for the tickets. This is just the best way to distribute them without causing chaos.

• cosanostra71 - Sep 28, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Ok. So they’re not free. But thanks to Ryan Braun and John Axford, Brewers fans can have tickets to the game for $2. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

2. natslady - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I tried it out, the service charge is $2.00 (as far as I can see). You also get a free “rally” towel and “scratch offs” for prizes, so it evens out. I would guess they couldn’t avoid the service charge, it’s probably pretty much ironclad in the contract and the software. You could argue Braun and Axford could have paid that, but there might not have been a way, technically, to accomplish it, so you get the towels.

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The service charge might keep people from downloading tix and then not showing up for the game. If they have a little skin in the game then they’re more likely to use the tickets.

• natslady - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Yeah. And me, being older and having difficulty with walking, would FAR rather pay the $2.00 than wait in a long line and have to show id to get my ticket. Waiting in lines spoils my whole day, it’s painful and very tiring.

The one time I had a ticket and didn’t show for the game was when I had free tickets but couldn’t find a parking spot because I didn’t take Metro (I would have been late if I’d gone home, dropped off my car and taken Metro). The clincher to go home was that the tickets were free (a giveaway for food donation). I missed Strasburg’s last start, but I was listening on the radio, and kind of glad I missed it…

3. muskyhunter2542 - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I bet there is less then 15k in Miller Park on sunday if they lose tonight or tomorrow. WIth The packers starting at 3:25. Or everyone leaves in the 6th-7th inning

4. natslady - Sep 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM

brewcrewfan54, I believe you are correct. The people getting a “cut” are not the Brewers, it’s the distributors (separate company that contracts with MLB), and it’s a pretty small cut at that. Whenever I’ve gone online for tickets the services fees run more towards $5-7 and higher per ticket, depending on the price of the tickert–not $2.00 per order. Usually I buy tickets at the box office or at the park if I’m there for a game. Both methods don’t really apply in this case on such short notice, and the idea that fans who are elderly or bringing children would rather wait in line than pay $2.00 is sort of unrealistic.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3590)