TBS to offer all manner of high tech gizmos for its playoff broadcasts

Sep 28, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

old TV

Yeah, I said gizmos. And every word of this post should be read as if you are on my lawn when you began it but are leaving my lawn at my request as you finish it:

TBS announced that its Major League Baseball post-season programming will include some new bells and whistles, including “3D hologram imagery.”

Specifically, TBS says it will use “innovative 3D imagery will illustrate detailed examples of pitch grips while demonstrating the pressure points, release points and rotation. Analysts will use the tool to explain how pitches work and how the hitter approaches each type of pitch.”

I suppose it’s too much to ask for a Tupac-style hologram of Skip Caray to call these games?

Oh well. Progress marches forward. Progress also tends to cause us to miss several pitches each game because progress is so damn enamored with its little toys that it can’t get back to the game action in time.  Progress also tends to forget that Ron Darling is totally capable of explaining how a curveball works without that noise.

Sigh.

1. blues1988 - Sep 28, 2012 at 8:56 AM

stupid

2. danaking - Sep 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I still miss Skip Caray. I wish Chip would give me an opportunity to miss him, too.

• alexo0 - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Can we get 3D imagery of the pressure points, release points and rotation each time Darling tries choking out Caray over botching another call?

3. stex52 - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM

My tolerance for the whole thing will be inversely proportional to the amount of the game I miss due to technology cuteness. It makes me think of radio announcers interviewing some team or local VIP during a game when you can hear loud bat cracks and crowd cheers in the background. Pisses the hell out of me.

• ajcardsfan - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I agree, Radio doesn’t seem to be quite as bad as TV, I hate when the cut to commercial and come back with a pitch count up by 5 than it was when you also

Also, “Pisses the hell out of me.” – Sounds like you’re trying to pass a kidney stone, then again, with some of the announcers out (Joe Buck I’m looking at you) that could be the better option

4. willclarkgameface - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM

All I know is that I want to be a part of Dennis Eckersley’s pre-game hair regimen.

Can you bring me that in 3D TBS?

I THINK NOT.

5. dwrek5 - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Whew, that’s hippy stuff!

• 4cornersfan - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

“Whew, that’s hippy stuff!” Can I use that?

• dwrek5 - Sep 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM

You betcha, I stole it from a Chevy Volt commercial.

6. The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Is Darling calling the playoffs? I haven’t been paying enough attention, but if he is, that’s fantastic. It’s great for Ron, who’s an excellent broadcaster, and great for those folks around the country who don’t get to enjoy him on Mets’ broadcasts throughout the year.

Anyway, whatever TBS does has to be better than Scooter. And I mean the talking baseball, not Phil Rizzuto,

7. kevinleaptrot - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:31 AM

“Oh well. Progress marches forward. Progress also tends to cause us to miss several pitches each game because progress is so damn enamored with its little toys that it can’t get back to the game action in time. Progress also tends to forget that Ron Darling is totally capable of explaining how a curveball works without that noise.”

This is not very “progressive” of you Craig.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Forgot that I was supposed to adhere to the most silly, simple stereotypes people who disagree with me politically hold. I’ll try to do better.

8. Brian Donohue - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Oh man, that will be so cool once they legalize acid…

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Wait, you mean it isn’t legal?

9. yankeesgameday - Sep 28, 2012 at 9:55 AM

And yet they still won’t stream the actual game feed. Just 9 different angles of the dugout

• theSC1320 - Sep 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

No doubt! I can’t stand that so much of the game coverage is looking into the dugout. I realize that between pitches there isnt alot going on on the field. But I would like to actually see the defensive alignments more often. ( Like when the shift is on, they tell you that the shift is on, and they talk about all its statistical stuff, but rarely do you see the correlation between pitch placement, lefty righty match-up, and defensive alignment) More variety in angles of the field during the plays, rather than the only on the 5th replay after an important play (if they get to it, after chasing a player around through three cameras while he’s trying to find an obstructed place in the dugout to just breath without being scrutinized by the camera.)
      After watching a lot of MLBTV this year, and being trained as a photographer, its amazing to me to see how much the up-close cameras interfere with players. They’re constantly screaming obscenities into their mitts, pulling their hats down to hide their eyes, trying to find a hiding place the dugout, etc…

I guess I’m sensitive to it being a photographer and a designer….but as a fan, I want to see more of the game rather than the players picking their noses up close and tight.

Does it bother anyone else that the first thing a guy does after a play is watch the scoreboard for the replay?

10. dannythebisforbeast - Sep 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Would rather watch a hologram of tupac call the game. TBS coverage sucks. Don’t they have David alridge -wasn’t he a basketball player

• dwrek5 - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Turner using the NBA guys to cover March Madness was pretty embarrassing. Hey its basketball, its all the same, they can cliche the heck out this analysis just the same.

11. willclarkgameface - Sep 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I agree that TBS coverage sucks. I also hate ESPN baseball coverage. Same for FOX. And NESN (for regional coverage) is a two-bit operation.

For the mere sake of conversation, who actually does a remarkable job with baseball coverage?

• The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM

SNY does a fine job. If the Mets can get a decent product on the field, I imagine it can only get better.

• yankeesgameday - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

YES. Michael Kay is the best living announcer.

• willclarkgameface - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Is this real?

He’s better than Vin?
        Better than Gary Thorne?

I love Yankees fans.

• 4cornersfan - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Vin’s mellow voice and pointless anecdotes put me to sleep. Give me Kay and whoever any day.

12. dsmaxsucks - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Hey Skip Caray was cool, but if we’re going holograms for Carays…

13. kevinbnyc - Sep 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Is Ron Darling actually capable of explaining how a curveball works? Not sure I’m sold.

14. 4cornersfan - Sep 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I’m with you bro. Tired of announcers who think their gifted insights and interviews of has-been players and smarmy baseball executives are more important than the game. Do you hear me FOX? McCarver?

Three legends off to Cooperstown