Sep 28, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Terry Francona and the Indians are no longer just a rumor.
Francona confirmed reports that he’s a candidate to replace Manny Acta as Cleveland’s manager, telling Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that he’s already spoken to general manager Chris Antonetti about the gig and will eventually come in for an interview.
Antonetti also acknowledged the team’s interest in Francona and said he’s currently one of two candidates along with interim manager Sandy Alomar.
There’s been some speculation that the Indians may balk at Francona’s asking price, in which case perhaps Alomar is the pre-approved fallback option.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)