Sep 28, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Terry Francona and the Indians are no longer just a rumor.
Francona confirmed reports that he’s a candidate to replace Manny Acta as Cleveland’s manager, telling Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that he’s already spoken to general manager Chris Antonetti about the gig and will eventually come in for an interview.
Antonetti also acknowledged the team’s interest in Francona and said he’s currently one of two candidates along with interim manager Sandy Alomar.
There’s been some speculation that the Indians may balk at Francona’s asking price, in which case perhaps Alomar is the pre-approved fallback option.
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)