Terry Francona and Indians confirm he’s a candidate for manager job, will interview

Sep 28, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT

File image of Boston Red Sox manager Francona walking back to the dugout during their MLB American League baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway Park in Boston

Terry Francona and the Indians are no longer just a rumor.

Francona confirmed reports that he’s a candidate to replace Manny Acta as Cleveland’s manager, telling Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that he’s already spoken to general manager Chris Antonetti about the gig and will eventually come in for an interview.

Antonetti also acknowledged the team’s interest in Francona and said he’s currently one of two candidates along with interim manager Sandy Alomar.

There’s been some speculation that the Indians may balk at Francona’s asking price, in which case perhaps Alomar is the pre-approved fallback option.

1. paint771 - Sep 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I know this is a silly question, but has anyone ever confirmed that Francona is out at Boston? I mean, OF COURSE he is, but seems kind of weird that Francona would confirm this given he’s still technically employed and nobody in the org has formally said he isn’t going to be back (or have they and I missed it?)

I mean, not like Francona gives a f*ck at this point.

• poprox13 - Sep 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

ummmm…………. did you just come out of a coma?

2. professor30 - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I thought he looked a lot older this year, and he let his hair grow out.

3. pisano - Sep 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Tito, do yourself a favor and wait for a job with an organization with a quick upside to a winner.

4. ibleedroyalblue - Sep 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I’m an Indians fan and a Francona fan too. I think he does a great job as an announcer. If I were him I’d stay an announcer.

5. pisano - Sep 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Hopefully for his own sake he’ll take your advise.

6. lazlosother - Sep 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I’m a Yankee fan and I despise Boston. Having said that, I have admired Francona, he reminds me in some ways of Torre with better pen management. I hope he gets another shot and I hope he is successful, except against NY.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS