Sep 28, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
Just checking in with our friend Bob Timmermann’s MLB Death Watch:
Both the Philadelphia Phillies and the Arizona Diamondbacks can be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention if the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Washington Nationals at home on Friday night.
Alternatively, both teams can be eliminated if they lose their own games.
We don’t note all teams’ eliminations like this, but given the way our comments section skews around here, I figure this would be as good a place as any to set up Mourning Central for Phillies fans. HBT is your safe harbor at the end of this stormy season, Phillies Pholks. Come, cry on each others shoulders here. I shall bring you tissues and warm drinks to soothe your weary, heavy hearts.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)