Sep 28, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Just checking in with our friend Bob Timmermann’s MLB Death Watch:
Both the Philadelphia Phillies and the Arizona Diamondbacks can be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention if the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Washington Nationals at home on Friday night.
Alternatively, both teams can be eliminated if they lose their own games.
We don’t note all teams’ eliminations like this, but given the way our comments section skews around here, I figure this would be as good a place as any to set up Mourning Central for Phillies fans. HBT is your safe harbor at the end of this stormy season, Phillies Pholks. Come, cry on each others shoulders here. I shall bring you tissues and warm drinks to soothe your weary, heavy hearts.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 49
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15