Sep 28, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Just checking in with our friend Bob Timmermann’s MLB Death Watch:
Both the Philadelphia Phillies and the Arizona Diamondbacks can be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention if the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Washington Nationals at home on Friday night.
Alternatively, both teams can be eliminated if they lose their own games.
We don’t note all teams’ eliminations like this, but given the way our comments section skews around here, I figure this would be as good a place as any to set up Mourning Central for Phillies fans. HBT is your safe harbor at the end of this stormy season, Phillies Pholks. Come, cry on each others shoulders here. I shall bring you tissues and warm drinks to soothe your weary, heavy hearts.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 0
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 1
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 23
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 56
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 77
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (184)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)