Sep 28, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Just checking in with our friend Bob Timmermann’s MLB Death Watch:
Both the Philadelphia Phillies and the Arizona Diamondbacks can be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention if the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Washington Nationals at home on Friday night.
Alternatively, both teams can be eliminated if they lose their own games.
We don’t note all teams’ eliminations like this, but given the way our comments section skews around here, I figure this would be as good a place as any to set up Mourning Central for Phillies fans. HBT is your safe harbor at the end of this stormy season, Phillies Pholks. Come, cry on each others shoulders here. I shall bring you tissues and warm drinks to soothe your weary, heavy hearts.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 36
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)