Sep 28, 2012, 11:47 AM EDT
Tsuyoshi Nishioka will go down as one of the worst acquisitions in Twins history, but at least the final bill will be a little cheaper than expected.
Nishioka asked the Twins to release him and offered to give back his 2013 salary, so naturally they obliged today and he’s officially a free agent.
He was set to earn another $3.25 million as part of a three-year, $9.25 million contract signed after the Twins paid $5.3 million for Nishioka’s exclusive negotiating rights from Japan. So instead of a $15 million flop he’s now a $12 million flop, and the Twins will have a little more cash to throw around this offseason.
Nishioka ends his Twins career with a .215 batting average and .503 OPS in 71 games–plus some brutally bad defense at shortstop and second base–and spent nearly all of this season at Triple-A. Presumably he’ll head back to Japan, where he hit .346 and won a Glove Glove award in 2010 before signing with the Twins, and at age 28 should be able to recoup that $3.25 million and then some.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)