Sep 28, 2012, 11:31 PM EST
The White Sox still aren’t hitting. Fortunately, Gavin Floyd and the bullpen were good enough to overcome that for one night.
Floyd allowed one run over five innings and combined with five relievers on a three-hitter Friday in a 3-1 win over the Rays. The White Sox moved to within one within one game of the Tigers after Detroit lost to Minnesota 4-2.
Alex Rios was the offensive star for the White Sox tonight, going 3-for-4 with a solo homer and two runs scored. While most of the rest of the lineup has slumped, he’s hit .309 with five homers and five doubles in 97 at-bast this month. The homer was his 25th overall.
Jeremy Hellickson took the loss for Tampa Bay while facing the White Sox for the first time in 63 career starts. He allowed three runs — two earned — in 5 2/3 innings.
The Tigers were undone by Ryan Doumit in their loss to Minnesota. After Drew Smyly turned in 5 1/3 scoreless innings, Doumit drove in all four Twins runs with a homer in the seventh and a single in the eighth. Detroit got its only runs on an Omar Infante homer in the top of the eighth.
Would-be MVP Miguel Cabrera went 2-for-4 to push his average back up to .327. However, he went without an RBI for the fifth straight game.
Cabrera’s closest competitor in the batting race, Minnesota’s Joe Mauer, went 0-for-2 with two walks in the game to drop his average to .322.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (314)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)