Sep 28, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
Interesting tidbits: (a) a meeting with the head of You Can Play, which promotes equality and respect for athletes of all sexual orientations; and (b) Escobar catching the ceremonial first pitch from David Testo, an openly gay soccer player.
Also of note: comments from a gay college distance runner of Cuba descent who says that, yes, “Tu ere maricone” is offensive, even within a Spanish speaking community, contrasted with comments from Omar Vizquel who says that while you don’t say that stuff to English speakers, it’s not considered offensive in Spanish. Which … doesn’t exactly match up.
Oh well. I’m guessing that unless Escobar is an absolute idiot, he’s not gonna get caught up in this kind of thing again.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)