Sep 28, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
Interesting tidbits: (a) a meeting with the head of You Can Play, which promotes equality and respect for athletes of all sexual orientations; and (b) Escobar catching the ceremonial first pitch from David Testo, an openly gay soccer player.
Also of note: comments from a gay college distance runner of Cuba descent who says that, yes, “Tu ere maricone” is offensive, even within a Spanish speaking community, contrasted with comments from Omar Vizquel who says that while you don’t say that stuff to English speakers, it’s not considered offensive in Spanish. Which … doesn’t exactly match up.
Oh well. I’m guessing that unless Escobar is an absolute idiot, he’s not gonna get caught up in this kind of thing again.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)