Sep 29, 2012, 6:57 PM EDT
Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer has not met expecations this season, batting just .232/.304/.359 with 14 homers and 60 RBI in 152 games. And now he’s been diagnosed with a potentially serious injury.
According to beat writer Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, an MRI taken Saturday on Hosmer’s sore right shoulder revealed a small tear in the rotator cuff. He sufered the injury Thursday in Detroit while diving aggressively for a grounder near the first base bag.
Hosmer hasn’t been ruled out for the remainder of the season, but that seems likely to happen soon.
“We’ll wait a couple of days and reevaluate,” Hosmer said Saturday. “Then we’ll do all of the testing and stuff and see how it feels. I think we’re going to wait until we get back to Kansas City (on Monday), then reevaluate and see what we’ve got.”
The talented 22-year-old hit .293 with a .799 OPS, 19 homers and 78 RBI in 128 games last year in the major leagues and posted gaudy numbers throughout the Royals’ farm system. He has a very bright future.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 0
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)