Sep 29, 2012, 6:57 PM EDT
Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer has not met expecations this season, batting just .232/.304/.359 with 14 homers and 60 RBI in 152 games. And now he’s been diagnosed with a potentially serious injury.
According to beat writer Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, an MRI taken Saturday on Hosmer’s sore right shoulder revealed a small tear in the rotator cuff. He sufered the injury Thursday in Detroit while diving aggressively for a grounder near the first base bag.
Hosmer hasn’t been ruled out for the remainder of the season, but that seems likely to happen soon.
“We’ll wait a couple of days and reevaluate,” Hosmer said Saturday. “Then we’ll do all of the testing and stuff and see how it feels. I think we’re going to wait until we get back to Kansas City (on Monday), then reevaluate and see what we’ve got.”
The talented 22-year-old hit .293 with a .799 OPS, 19 homers and 78 RBI in 128 games last year in the major leagues and posted gaudy numbers throughout the Royals’ farm system. He has a very bright future.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)