Sep 29, 2012, 6:57 PM EST
Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer has not met expecations this season, batting just .232/.304/.359 with 14 homers and 60 RBI in 152 games. And now he’s been diagnosed with a potentially serious injury.
According to beat writer Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, an MRI taken Saturday on Hosmer’s sore right shoulder revealed a small tear in the rotator cuff. He sufered the injury Thursday in Detroit while diving aggressively for a grounder near the first base bag.
Hosmer hasn’t been ruled out for the remainder of the season, but that seems likely to happen soon.
“We’ll wait a couple of days and reevaluate,” Hosmer said Saturday. “Then we’ll do all of the testing and stuff and see how it feels. I think we’re going to wait until we get back to Kansas City (on Monday), then reevaluate and see what we’ve got.”
The talented 22-year-old hit .293 with a .799 OPS, 19 homers and 78 RBI in 128 games last year in the major leagues and posted gaudy numbers throughout the Royals’ farm system. He has a very bright future.
- UPDATE: Giants believe Hunter Pence suffered broken left forearm on hit-by-pitch 1
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 7
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 136
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (137)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (88)