Sep 29, 2012, 8:53 PM EDT
Braves center fielder Michael Bourn hasn’t played since September 22 because of a mild sprain in his left thumb. But things are suddenly looking up.
David O’Brien of the Altanta Journal-Constitution reports that Bourn has a “good chance” of returning to the starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Mets and that he’s been held out of recent games mostly as a precautionary measure
“The big thing is we don’t want to get a setback,” Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez told reporters on Saturday. “We’re running out of games and we don’t want to get a setback right now.”
As it stands, the Braves will host the Cardinals in the one-game NL Wild Card playoff next Friday.
Bourn, 29, is batting .274/.346/.391 with 39 stolen bases and a career-high nine homers in 151 games.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)