Sep 29, 2012, 8:53 PM EDT
Braves center fielder Michael Bourn hasn’t played since September 22 because of a mild sprain in his left thumb. But things are suddenly looking up.
David O’Brien of the Altanta Journal-Constitution reports that Bourn has a “good chance” of returning to the starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Mets and that he’s been held out of recent games mostly as a precautionary measure
“The big thing is we don’t want to get a setback,” Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez told reporters on Saturday. “We’re running out of games and we don’t want to get a setback right now.”
As it stands, the Braves will host the Cardinals in the one-game NL Wild Card playoff next Friday.
Bourn, 29, is batting .274/.346/.391 with 39 stolen bases and a career-high nine homers in 151 games.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)